SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,200 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

Sorry Stu, dink striper. Once they show up at all I hang up the perch rod. Only on a really boring day or when the sandcrab mafia is just killing them like it is going out of style, do I make the switch back. Not that I don't enjoy their fight, willingness to hit a grub, fly or lure or their soft delicate tasty flesh, but I would rather not being catching striper instead, I know I got problems, once the addiction starts though it is hard to stop, like Lays P-chips. Heading out again in the storm early tomorrow morning will report back good or bad. 

I'm just like you... in fact, today I was getting my striper gear ready. No stripers here yet. Any day now. 

During the overlap season (March - May) I like to throw lures that can catch both, especially Lucky Craft Flashminnow. And chartreuse Clouser flies. 

Speaking of overlap seasons. My seasons go like this in month order. Jan-Feb Steelhead unless rain (like it lately has) blows out the rivers then I do Perch or the dam for stripers & duck hunting closer in late Jan. March-April if the striper are not early (like they have been last two seasons) I fish for Perch & Rockfish in the bay and then Opening day trout in the mountains last Sat in April. May-Sept Striper almost 100% with Ocean Salmon & Halibut here and there.  Sept kicks off bird hunting with Dove Opener on 1st. October surf Striper, Salmon on the River, Quail Zone Q1 Opener & Duck Opener. November Last surf striper (usually not many but when, hold on!) before I hang it up and Steelhead opens back up, Dam striper gets red hot & pheasant season opener, usually still too warm for good ducks tshirt weather. December mostly steelhead & ducks. Keeps me busy. 

Went out this morning. TOO Rough for me. Threw a few tins anyways since I made the trip and got all gussied up, but after two surges almost but me on my face, that's it! Heading to Bass Pro Spring sale instead, show Johnny Morris how it is done! :) 

Had a business trip to San Diego, and was able to extendo for a couple extra days. Hopped on a 1,5 day trip on the Pacific Queen and headed south. 

I love it when the yellowtail eat the iron.

Jellotail.jpg

On 2/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, Linesideslayer said:

Speaking of overlap seasons. My seasons go like this in month order. Jan-Feb Steelhead unless rain (like it lately has) blows out the rivers then I do Perch or the dam for stripers & duck hunting closer in late Jan. March-April if the striper are not early (like they have been last two seasons) I fish for Perch & Rockfish in the bay and then Opening day trout in the mountains last Sat in April. May-Sept Striper almost 100% with Ocean Salmon & Halibut here and there.  Sept kicks off bird hunting with Dove Opener on 1st. October surf Striper, Salmon on the River, Quail Zone Q1 Opener & Duck Opener. November Last surf striper (usually not many but when, hold on!) before I hang it up and Steelhead opens back up, Dam striper gets red hot & pheasant season opener, usually still too warm for good ducks tshirt weather. December mostly steelhead & ducks. Keeps me busy. 

The recreational fishery for surfperch (family Embiotocidae) is open from August 1, 2018 through March 31, 2019.  poaching again I see

Pics of local stripers getting me fired up!

Ocean has been crap for the most part still...

Managed to sneak out last week again during a teeny tiny weather window and got some more fresh feesh and a few scallops.

Take.jpg.29baec7819a2d8a5c06a929c39bda0d7.jpg

DoubleFisted.jpg.e94cb6dd7c0c075ad61f8e4f4acc2155.jpg

Yummy!

BombDotCom.JPG.5b3b9da07cee658128236ad3ef824b19.JPG

Cookedhead.jpg.5f79d94914ef9157b5c47970c87e1d27.jpg

PickingHead.jpg.e5aa4ecfdeefed1c0ce846c113635c73.jpg

CevicheJayme.jpg.c3a7cbf32687d11a38ca3caa4c112860.jpg

CevicheChip.jpg.b1386cf81e02314f70217a4e3f8efc24.jpg

5 hours ago, moocks said:

The recreational fishery for surfperch (family Embiotocidae) is open from August 1, 2018 through March 31, 2019.  poaching again I see

Bi-Catch from striper fishing with motor oil grubs on Carolina rigs! Come on Moocks not only are you an "undercover" SOL Administrator but I am beginning to suspect your a DFG nark as well? Why I just C&R everything! Below are the regs & I don't live in SF or San Pablo Bay. :beatin:

28.59. Surfperch.

(a) For the purposes of this section, the term

“surfperch” refers to all species of the family

Embiotocidae, in any combination.

(b) Open Season: Open all year, except surfperch

may not be taken or possessed by a person in

San Francisco Bay and San Pablo Bay between

April 1 and July 31, inclusive. Shiner surfperch

(Cymatogaster aggregata) are exempt from

this seasonal closure and may be taken and

possessed up to their daily bag limit in these

areas during the closure period.

(c) Daily bag limits:

(1) In San Francisco Bay and San Pablo Bay,

the aggregate limit is five surfperch, not

including shiner surfperch. For all other

areas, the aggregate limit is 20 surfperch,

not including shiner surfperch.

Not more than 10 surfperch may be of

any one species.

(2) The special limit for shiner surfperch

is 20, which may be taken or possessed

in addition to the overall daily bag limit

of 20 finfish specified in sub-section

27.60(a).

(d) Minimum size: redtail surfperch, ten and onehalf

inches total length. All other surfperch:

none.

Edited by Linesideslayer

1 hour ago, Linesideslayer said:

Bi-Catch from striper fishing with motor oil grubs on Carolina rigs! Come on Moocks not only are you an "undercover" SOL Administrator but I am beginning to suspect your a DFG nark as well? Why I just C&R everything! Below are the regs & I don't live in SF or San Pablo Bay. :beatin:

28.59. Surfperch.

(a) For the purposes of this section, the term

“surfperch” refers to all species of the family

Embiotocidae, in any combination.

(b) Open Season: Open all year, except surfperch

may not be taken or possessed by a person in

San Francisco Bay and San Pablo Bay between

April 1 and July 31, inclusive. Shiner surfperch

(Cymatogaster aggregata) are exempt from

this seasonal closure and may be taken and

possessed up to their daily bag limit in these

areas during the closure period.

(c) Daily bag limits:

(1) In San Francisco Bay and San Pablo Bay,

the aggregate limit is five surfperch, not

including shiner surfperch. For all other

areas, the aggregate limit is 20 surfperch,

not including shiner surfperch.

Not more than 10 surfperch may be of

any one species.

(2) The special limit for shiner surfperch

is 20, which may be taken or possessed

in addition to the overall daily bag limit

of 20 finfish specified in sub-section

27.60(a).

(d) Minimum size: redtail surfperch, ten and onehalf

inches total length. All other surfperch:

none.

"March-April if the striper are not early (like they have been last two seasons) I fish for Perch & Rockfish in the bay "

this will be duly noted in your DFW dosser along with the feeble I don't live in SF or San Pablo Bay comment

1 hour ago, moocks said:

this will be duly noted in your DFW dosser along with the feeble I don't live in SF or San Pablo Bay comment

You correct me often and are right enough that I sometimes think you are related to my wife, so much so that you make me re-read the regs often, which is a good thing when johnny law stops me, but for once I am less wrong this time as my wife would put it. 

12 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

You correct me often and are right enough that I sometimes think you are related to my wife, so much so that you make me re-read the regs often, which is a good thing when johnny law stops me, but for once I am less wrong this time as my wife would put it. 

"less wrong" I'm gonna remember that one LOL