Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

SaltWaterRooky

We catch the same thing in the Delta and call them Squawfish or Sacramento Pike and catch them while fishing for stripers.  If you can get them in smaller sizes, on the Delta, they make great bait for stripers.

From Wiki: The northern pikeminnow, or Columbia River dace (Ptychocheilus oregonensis) [2] is a large member of the minnow family, Cyprinidae.[3] Until 1999, when the American Fisheries Society officially changed the common name to pikeminnow, the four species of this genus were known as squawfish.[4] Female northern pikeminnow reach sexual maturity at about six years, males in three to five. They can live longer than 15 years, reaching over 24  inches and eight pounds. The current world record weight for the pikeminnow, 13½ pounds, is held by Christopher Borger and Michael Ray of Edmonton, Alberta.[citation needed] A mature female can lay 30,000 eggs annually. Pikeminnow are voracious predators, and in the Columbia and Snake Rivers, salmon smolts comprise a large part of their diets. Their populations have flourished with the development of the Columbia River hydropower system.[5] The reservoirs have provided excellent habitat for pikeminnow and given them an advantage over depressed salmon and steelhead populations.[6] While historically pikeminnow have not been of interest commercially nor to sport anglers, Washington and Oregon state fisheries agencies and the Bonneville Power Administration have placed a bounty[7] on them to reduce predation on scarce salmon stocks. A sport fishery has developed based on that bounty.

Move north and catch them for pay between $5 and $8 each:

http://www.pikeminnow.org/

Quote:Originally Posted by Surf HunterI don't wanna grow boobies.

4 hours ago, put_em_back said:

If you can get them in smaller sizes, on the Delta, they make great bait for stripers.

I know this statement is true as I have friends up in Sac that fish the American river with them in 6-8 inch sizes and hook big ones on them. Striper candy bars. Hhhmmm. Maybe i need to talk to Mike F. about a Pikeminnow pattern Pikie for when I am fishing the American River. 

31 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

I know this statement is true as I have friends up in Sac that fish the American river with them in 6-8 inch sizes and hook big ones on them. Striper candy bars. Hhhmmm. Maybe i need to talk to Mike F. about a Pikeminnow pattern Pikie for when I am fishing the American River. 

That would be sweet.

Slow morning. but interesting. First time I've ever targeted surf perch feeding on bait fish, rather than sand crabs. Found a rocky cove that was full of bait, nice size surf, green foamy water and incoming tide. Perfect conditions except for the bright sunshine. Saw one flash of silver down deep, but the bait was not jumping. Tried about a half dozen different fly patterns, finally got one fish to eat on a sparkly epoxy minnow. Too bad the stripers aren't here yet.

IMG_20190208_123428_832.jpg

IMG_20190208_140324_900.jpg

IMG_20190208_140714_408.jpg

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. 

49 mins ago, Uncle Stu said:

Slow morning. but interesting. First time I've ever targeted surf perch feeding on bait fish, rather than sand crabs. Found a rocky cove that was full of bait, nice size surf, green foamy water and incoming tide. Perfect conditions except for the bright sunshine. Saw one flash of silver down deep, but the bait was not jumping. Tried about a half dozen different fly patterns, finally got one fish to eat on a sparkly epoxy minnow. Too bad the stripers aren't here yet.

‘yet’

'If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck, I'd swim to the bottom and never come up.'  Chuck Ragan

5 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Too bad the stripers aren't here yet.

They're here!!!

Image result for poltergeist they're here 

Hooked this 20" on my 3rd cast. He couldn't resist my sexy redhead re-paint. Got em right before it started dumping rain, stayed just long enough to get drenched, then called it quits. Stu they should be headed your way soon! My first in the Surf for 2019. 

0208191259 (1).jpg

Edited by Linesideslayer