SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,200 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, thebayway said:

You guys are landing some chunky perch lately. Well done!

This little guy was in ambush mode at first light off a rocky point. 

Swam off strong.

85956DAB-319B-4EBE-B5E4-D5B643A5B2E0.jpeg

First light is the magic hour! Seems a bit optimistic to be casting a spook in the dead of winter but... well done, bayway.

Point taken, Stu. My inner ‘top water junkie’ gets the better of me at times Ha! That’s a high confidence plug for me and it’s just a lot of fun to work.

Glad to see you out there getting your fix!

15 hours ago, thebayway said:

My inner ‘top water junkie’ gets the better of me at times

My favorite. Top water KABOOMs. Nice fish, appears a weighted Jumpin Minnow? How much weight if so do you add?

It is a Jumpin Minnow, but I didn't add weight. I did upgrade the hooks, but they were re-purposed from another lure so I'm not sure the exact size. I just noticed they were the approximate size of the stock trebles but thicker wire.

I've been told 5 bb's increases the casting distance without sacrificing the action, but I can't speak from personal experience.

I tried 2/0 VMC 9626 and they were too much (weight?, drag?) to get it walking the way I like on the tackle I use.

55 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

My favorite. Top water KABOOMs. Nice fish, appears a weighted Jumpin Minnow? How much weight if so do you add?

Great platform for secret weapons.  <g>

I actually wrote Rebel once upon a time requesting they make a larger size Jumpin Minnow. They did respond to me, which says something about the company, but unfortunately they stated they appreciated my suggestion, but had no plans in the future to make a larger copy, something about the cost of molds & production. Too bad, think it would sell very well. Say 7 in & 1.5-2oz range, copy everything, just larger.  

1 hour ago, Linesideslayer said:

I actually wrote Rebel once upon a time requesting they make a larger size Jumpin Minnow. They did respond to me, which says something about the company, but unfortunately they stated they appreciated my suggestion, but had no plans in the future to make a larger copy, something about the cost of molds & production. Too bad, think it would sell very well. Say 7 in & 1.5-2oz range, copy everything, just larger.  

Get the large Rebel Windcheater and remove the lip.  Load an additional 1/4-3\8 oz shot to counterbalance the nose weight for improved casting.  Should be in the range of 2.3 oz.

Edited by bass11

A quick outing today, went out on the outgoing tide. did not expect any decent size fish. it was more like a get away from the house or suffer thru the full bloom of allergies, pollens,etc... Meanwhile out at the surf, i did pulled in a decent size california(barred perch). Fun, Fun. 

3some.jpg

19 hours ago, MultiCast said:

A quick outing today, went out on the outgoing tide. did not expect any decent size fish. it was more like a get away from the house or suffer thru the full bloom of allergies, pollens,etc... Meanwhile out at the surf, i did pulled in a decent size california(barred perch). Fun, Fun. 

3some.jpg

Well done, multicast. Lately, I've done better on outgoing tides than incoming... go figure.

Went to a small nearby creek with my son this morning. He again out fished daddy hooking, fighting and landing this fish which I think is a squaw fish or sac pike minnow? Someone help me out here. Fish hit on a size 2 Blue Fox gold Vibrax spinner he was slowly rolling through a deep pool. I did end up hooking a small trout/steelhead, but lost it at the bank, damn barbless hooks. My son is the ever reminder that any fish is a good fish when it is on the end of your line, his addiction to the tug is growing with each outing and is learning. Today he tied on his own lure with improved clinch knot. Fish was released back to the water. 

IMG_7085.JPG

8 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Went to a small nearby creek with my son this morning. He again out fished daddy hooking, fighting and landing this fish which I think is a squaw fish or sac pike minnow? Someone help me out here. Fish hit on a size 2 Blue Fox gold Vibrax spinner he was slowly rolling through a deep pool. I did end up hooking a small trout/steelhead, but lost it at the bank, damn barbless hooks. My son is the ever reminder that any fish is a good fish when it is on the end of your line, his addiction to the tug is growing with each outing and is learning. Today he tied on his own lure with improved clinch knot. Fish was released back to the water. 

IMG_7085.JPG

Sweet.

17 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

IMG_7085.JPG

Yep, Northern Pikeminnow

Edit, not sure if California has northern pikeminnow, but a quick search came up with Sacramento Pikeminnow which looks very similar to the northern.

SF.

Edited by Stonefish