SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

4,117 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, MultiCast said:

Shhhhh Be Very Quiet About This, Don't want to disturb Mr. Moocks, 
he's taking a well deserved nap. anyways,i was curious about the past few days of the winter weather, like the heavy rain and wind, did it change the structure on the beach, if it did, is it good to fish or just sit back at home and admired the view from the internet on the weather channel. anyways, decided to grab my tackle and plastic and headed out to the surf and work the trough and came home with dinner.

100_3499.JPG

OMG ! No there was no change to the structure. Its just the same as it was in 2016.
Nice Patio Perch BTW. Do you mind me asking, Did the person that gifted you the salmon in June provide these scrawny specimens ? lol

Oh ya, Welcome. You can forgo the requisite joke

FYI Mr. Moock, The salmon in june was caught with my own determination and effort, it was a battled with the crowds on the pier at pacifica. as you know, being there at the pier to fish it was no easy task, you are dealing with other anglers as well as seals. It was a lucky catch that day, i came home with the two salmon. it was well worth it. as far as the scrawny specimens as you call it. They fought like a bass and it was fun. so, given the structure is still around(said Albycor) went back out today and with similar result.

100_3510.JPG

18 hours ago, MultiCast said:

FYI Mr. Moock, The salmon in june was caught with my own determination and effort, it was a battled with the crowds on the pier at pacifica. as you know, being there at the pier to fish it was no easy task, you are dealing with other anglers as well as seals. It was a lucky catch that day, i came home with the two salmon. it was well worth it. as far as the scrawny specimens as you call it. They fought like a bass and it was fun. so, given the structure is still around(said Albycor) went back out today and with similar result.

100_3510.JPG

Well done Multi. See what a little encouragement can do for ya. Even put them on a cutting board this time. It just goes to show you that excuses like " the water is too rough or Cold or to warm or the structure is gone are just that, excuses.
Special shout out for braving the Pier cause even our resident Sumo (BigNevadaBob ) seldom goes without a bodyguard.

King tides (7+ft), Lunar Eclipse, Harvest Moon & 13+ft Swells in Monterey this weekend. So who else is fishing for the Kraken this weekend? I plan to be out there trying, with the rivers/creeks muddied up & running high, plan to try my first surf fishing this year, will report back. That said pretty rough & potentially hazardous conditions out there, everyone going out, be safe not sorry.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

King tides (7+ft), Lunar Eclipse, Harvest Moon & 13+ft Swells in Monterey this weekend. So who else is fishing for the Kraken this weekend? I plan to be out there trying, with the rivers/creeks muddied up & running high, plan to try my first surf fishing this year, will report back. That said pretty rough & potentially hazardous conditions out there, everyone going out, be safe not sorry.

I'm in. Rough for sure, but potentially rewarding. The big perch are here, by best so far was 15", and more than a couple. With very low visibility, I've been scoring on 3" curly tail grubs with bright colored tails: bright orange or chartreuse. Been losing a few too, in the gnarly shore break, it's hard to get them onto the beach! I've had good luck on the outgoing tide. Finding more fish over rocks than over sand, so snagging bottom is a problem, but if you're careful... that seems to be where the hogs are. Good luck, and be careful!

Edited by Uncle Stu

So went out yesterday to a smaller creek, knew the rivers would be too muddy from the rain. Was able to catch plenty of fry sized fish (rainbows still with their baby spots) but nothing over 8 inches. Plenty of fun and the creek bottom was gorgeous with all the greenery. In the afternoon fished just upstream from a river mouth, saw a few big fish roll, but couldn't get them to eat anything I threw at them, either were not in the mood or the water clarity may have had something to do with it, or i just suck, a distinct possibility? Today got up early and hit the surf for the first time this season, as said above was very rough out there. Did manage a single large perch, but that was it. We hit two more beaches trying to escape the storm surf, no dice. Going to wait out this weather and hope we get some steady temps with no rain in the weeks to come and give it another try. At home contemplating organizing the fishing stuff and pulling out the plug wall and get her hung up as we are but a few months away from the striper making an appearance, but with the game on and cold beer in my hand as I type this, it is still just a thought. 

On January 19, 2019 at 1:02 PM, Uncle Stu said:

Today was tough, surf too big. Got there early and landed two before high tide... Then nothing.

IMG_20190119_123553_379.jpg

Great job