SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

5,200 posts in this topic

37 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

So decided to fish a creek that I have never explored on Saturday, but the times I have driven over it the water looked right and to get to the creek is a battle through thickets & blackberry bramble, so figured could be virgin unfished water. Got all my steelhead gear and headed out. First stop was a three foot waterfall with a deep pool after that I had scouted near a bridge crossing, perfect fish ambush spot. Threw everything at it, including bait, and not even a nibble. That is strange and not a good sign. Headed further down stream and fished every juicy pocket water and riffle I could find. Nothing. I spotted some fish, but they didn't look like trout, so figured they were red horses or suckers, then I got a good look at one, that looks like a LMB! I had basically zero Bass gear, but decided a spinner or spoon would get a reaction strike or two, worse case I could drop shot a pink steelhead worm in a pinch. The fishing then picked up from there with a few tiny teeny baby bass, but then got a nice 1 lber on a flutter spoon. So not the day I expected to have, but when your senses tell you that fish should be there, keep trying different tactics, lures and colors until you get a bite. Didn't find the chrome I was after, but discovered an untapped LMB creek that I will become better acquainted with in the future & will sure come better prepared for the fish species living in there next time. It will be great summer wade in your shorts & shoes creek for my son & I to explore.

DSCN1923.JPG

DSCN1925.JPG

Nice reward for following your intuition.  Good deal.

Went out yesterday on the boat for a last trip of bottom fish. I was jigging snapper and Lings when I hooked a King Salmon, bout 9lbs, released at the boat. I've caught salmon late before, but never this late! 

1 hour ago, Skkeeter said:

Went out yesterday on the boat for a last trip of bottom fish. I was jigging snapper and Lings when I hooked a King Salmon, bout 9lbs, released at the boat. I've caught salmon late before, but never this late! 

Nice work.

Likely a blackmouth based on that size that will spawn next fall.

SF

Barred perch report from Central Coast: the big spawners are here. I got several slabs this week of 14-15." Spin fishing with Carolina rig, outgoing tide in the AM, big surf. Also on fly, mole Crab pattern. 

IMG_20190104_124232_688.jpg

IMG_20190102_115056_283.jpg

IMG_20181231_100103_067.jpg

Edited by Uncle Stu

37 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

Stu.... How do you fish a fly in those conditions??? WTG on the hogs, in their breeding colors...

Butch

Butch--it aint easy! But its doable when the surf gets below a certain size. In my area, its doable when the surf is predicted at about 4-6 ft or less. Right now its running 7-10' which works for spinning on some beaches. Depends on direction of the swell too, of course. 

My fly rig is a 6w 11' switch rod with 8w short head line, sinking 3 IPS. As they say... if you want to catch half as many fish and have twice the fun, try fly fishing!

49 mins ago, moocks said:

Only if you put something close to their mouths

Really? I thought I’d have to put something near my mouth. 

Edited by telecronista
B

Shhhhh Be Very Quiet About This, Don't want to disturb Mr. Moocks, 
he's taking a well deserved nap. anyways,i was curious about the past few days of the winter weather, like the heavy rain and wind, did it change the structure on the beach, if it did, is it good to fish or just sit back at home and admired the view from the internet on the weather channel. anyways, decided to grab my tackle and plastic and headed out to the surf and work the trough and came home with dinner.

100_3499.JPG

Nice!

I wondered the same. It was beautiful out on the coast. My resuls were the inverse of yours unfortunately.

Edited by rxx2