SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

3,967 posts in this topic

My 5 year old son has been bouncing off the walls with Christmas fast approaching, so much so that Mom yesterday ordered me to take him somewhere, anywhere, and get lost for a few hours to give her a break. No problem, to the river boy! At Walmart I let him choose a lure of his choice and he chose a small Mepps 0 Aglia 1/64 oz spinner (see pictured) with Red Woolly Ant fly, figured he would lose it in the first few casts, cheap $3 thrill. After an afternoon of no bites on egg patterns and pink worms I gave up fishing & let my son tie on his new spinner & let him fish it all on his own, again figured it would be snagged and gone in a few casts...well the only place it got snagged, on his first cast mind you, was on this nice 14" Rainbow's mouth!!! "See daddy, told you that tiny lure was good!" Damn nice fish kid, already out fishing daddy. Fish was immediately released after a quick pic, in hindsight I should not have grabbed the gills and kept the fish in the water, but was a little excited for the kiddo's catch, fish was revived in fast moving water and darted out of my hands back to it's undercut bank from whence it pounced. Really pretty fish with it's rosie cheeks & pink lateral line.

DSCN1918.JPG

DSCN1917.JPG

DSCN1920.JPG

DSCN1919.JPG

DSCN1922.JPG

On 12/7/2018 at 8:53 AM, Stonefish said:

There is a really interesting study Oregon State University did on the relationship between rainbow trout and steelhead.

Let me know if you are interested in reading it and I'll send you a link since you can't post them on here.

I would really enjoy reading that, if you could send me the link... Thanks... And beautiful fish... What ever it is. ;) ....

Butch

6 mins ago, Linesideslayer said:

My 5 year old son has been bouncing off the walls with Christmas fast approaching, so much so that Mom yesterday ordered me to take him somewhere, anywhere, and get lost for a few hours to give her a break. No problem, to the river boy! At Walmart I let him choose a lure of his choice and he chose a small Mepps 0 Aglia 1/64 oz spinner (see pictured) with Red Woolly Ant fly, figured he would lose it in the first few casts, cheap $3 thrill. After an afternoon of no bites on egg patterns and pink worms I gave up fishing & let my son tie on his new spinner & let him fish it all on his own, again figured it would be snagged and gone in a few casts...well the only place it got snagged, on his first cast mind you, was on this nice 14" Rainbow's mouth!!! "See daddy, told you that tiny lure was good!" Damn nice fish kid, already out fishing daddy. Fish was immediately released after a quick pic, in hindsight I should not have grabbed the gills and kept the fish in the water, but was a little excited for the kiddo's catch, fish was revived in fast moving water and darted out of my hands back to it's undercut bank from whence it pounced. Really pretty fish with it's rosie cheeks & pink lateral line.

DSCN1918.JPG

DSCN1917.JPG

DSCN1920.JPG

DSCN1919.JPG

DSCN1922.JPG

WTG Kiddo!!! Excellent fish!!...

Butch

8 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

DSCN1918.JPG

DSCN1917.JPG

DSCN1920.JPG

DSCN1919.JPG

DSCN1922.JPG

I see your son having a little YouTube show doing lure and tackle reviews. Maybe he’ll make you $22M/yr like that other little kid!

And that’s a nice fish. Congratulations to the little guy!

Edited by Alferd Packer