SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

3,926 posts in this topic

Nice fish, Man! Thanks for the report.

Have you given spooks a try out there? They're easier to work with a shorter rod in my experience. I've found a more subtle top water movement can be the ticket at times as compared to a frantically worked pencil. They cast better once you beefed up the hooks/split rings and added a few bb's.

Tight lines!

Went salmon fishing and wound up catching a decent sized trout. No salmon unfortunately,  but the 2 guys next to me caught 3. 2 silvers and I'm pretty sure a chinook. 

Rooky

The searuns in Puget Sound and Hood Canal really have two different life histories.

The northern Puget Sound cutthroat utilize larger rivers for spawning and will enter as early as July ans spawn the next spring..

The south sound and canal utilize small creeks and won’t leave the salt to spawn until next spring and are available in the salt year round.

Prime time is now for those south sound and canal fish.

Once the southern fish spawn in the spring, they’ll head back to the salt and start chowing on chum fry that will be out migrating at about the same time.

SF

MrNubbins likes this

I totally blew it on bay striper fishing this fall, but I’ve caught the fly fishing bug hard...it is unfortunate that good trout water is so far away from the Bay Area...I will need to start looking into surf perch on the fly...thankfully we got Stu!

2E040C39-D0AD-423B-BB8E-FFB761B3D58E.jpeg

1 hour ago, SkunkExtinction said:

I totally blew it on bay striper fishing this fall, but I’ve caught the fly fishing bug hard...it is unfortunate that good trout water is so far away from the Bay Area...I will need to start looking into surf perch on the fly...thankfully we got Stu!

Looks like a RM Smith plug! Baagh

Posted (edited) · Report post

Decent size perch are starting to show up around here. Conditions were good for solunar, tides, and surf but on Monday I forgot my stripping basket, didn't realize it until I was down on the beach! What a mess--I gave up after about 20 minutes, went back to the car and grabbed my spinning rig. Ended up with 5 keepers (filet size) and 12 total. My lure was the Krusteaz crab with Smelly Jelly applied. Yesterday I went again (with my basket!) and got one nice one on the fly, plus a couple of dinks. Right now I think most of the big ones are hanging farther out than you can cast a fly. My fly was a mole crab imitation that I created. 

IMG_20181106_140353_519.jpg

IMG_20181106_085906_931.jpg

Edited by Uncle Stu
MrNubbins and Stonefish like this

19 hours ago, SkunkExtinction said:

hey Skunk--way to go man! I used to drive over to the Sierras every weekend until i realized I could catch bigger fish right here at the beach.

On 11/7/2018 at 8:31 AM, Uncle Stu said:

Decent size perch are starting to show up around here. Conditions were good for solunar, tides, and surf but on Monday I forgot my stripping basket, didn't realize it until I was down on the beach! What a mess--I gave up after about 20 minutes, went back to the car and grabbed my spinning rig. Ended up with 5 keepers (filet size) and 12 total. My lure was the Krusteaz crab with Smelly Jelly applied. Yesterday I went again (with my basket!) and got one nice one on the fly, plus a couple of dinks. Right now I think most of the big ones are hanging farther out than you can cast a fly. My fly was a mole crab imitation that I created. 

Stu,

You take some really great photos.

SF

On 11/7/2018 at 8:31 AM, Uncle Stu said:

Stu were you just carolina rigging the CrusteaZ? Or are you rigging differently? I have had a hankering for trying to find a lure to go after the Perch with on my spinning setup since the stripers have passed by me. I guess im not a huge fan of bait and wait.

1 hour ago, MrNubbins said:

Stu were you just carolina rigging the CrusteaZ? Or are you rigging differently? I have had a hankering for trying to find a lure to go after the Perch with on my spinning setup since the stripers have passed by me. I guess im not a huge fan of bait and wait.

You can Carolina rig or drop shot and reel it in similar to Carolina.