Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

SaltWaterRooky

Been spending some time staring at sand, and have found a few tasty hidden treasures...

CoolerButts.thumb.jpg.7b30dc4cd4bb9e924f838afbe3d8d777.jpg

Can you see the fish in this pic?

Camo.thumb.jpg.6a4d1ef1eeb0aa20dad5380310037c94.jpg

This one was less obvious...until I shot her.

HiddenShot.thumb.jpg.dfa75df2fb44677c9667aab3decdd5ca.jpg

Still no luck with shooting a striper in the surf this year, but I'll keep trying.

: )

Sincerely,

Jim

On 5/11/2018 at 10:25 AM, rweverett said:

Are there any fishing groups from Santa Cruz to Pacific that meet (face-to-face) weekly or monthly? Looking for some new friends as my fishing buddies just moved to Colorado. 

Try Cali Coast Surf Fishing on Facebook...

Butch

Hit the beach this morning, about an hour after low tide.

Pretty slow plugging for 90 minutes, but then it started to pick up. 

They were a little spread out, but I had good steady action for at least an hour.

Was a satisfying morning to be sure.

20180515_101956.thumb.jpg.7b5afb471e3b9b8c1a50b96f1d5e2d1f.jpg 

Long time lurker, first time poster here; Finally got my first stripe from the surf!

Got out to the beach around 4 am and fished the outgoing. After two hours of throwing a 1 oz metal and a Sardine pattern SP minnow, and with only 45 minutes left to fish, I decided to try soaking sand crabs. I'd just finished tying on a sliding sinker rig, when I noticed gulls bombing about 200 yards out, just as it became light enough to see. Figuring that there was probably bait in the area, I ran back to my tackle bag, and rigged up a 17 lb mono leader with a TA clip. I clipped on a larger metal because I figured I'd need to make some long casts. After a few casts with the spoon, my intuition and the cloudy skies above told me to go with a topwater bait. Two casts after tying on a 6 inch pencil popper, the gulls started making their way inshore, diving at my bait. A couple of casts later and a large striper slammed my lure about 20 yards in front of me. It shook the hook a few moments later, and I was a combination of heartbroken and more excited than I've ever been about a fish. About ten casts later and I hooked up this nice 23". This fish has been a long time coming.....two years of skunking every time I hit the beach.  Turned out to be a delicious breakfast. 

IMG_7101.jpg

19 hours ago, therealkdeezy said:

large striper slammed my lure about 20 yards

Gotta love when they follow it in on top and then WHAMMY! Going out on a Rockfishing trip today in Monterey, will report back later on. Glad you finally got one therealdeezy, gotta warn you though, like Lays potato chips, bet you want another one.

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.rapgenius.com%2F70793dbfb428c768b5e3499539b81157.800x800x1.jpg