SaltWaterRooky

Catch anything today?

Rate this topic

4,386 posts in this topic

Good eye!

Yep...I love hunting and eating those guys!!

2Monsters.JPG

BowlOfMonkeys.jpg

SkinnedMonkeys.jpg

FiletedMeat.jpg

MonkeyMeat.jpg

ChoppingForCeviche.jpg

NiceBatch.jpg

MonkeyCooking.jpg

I was actually pretty obsessed with them for a few years...I tied the State Diving Record in 2011...

2011Letter.jpg

2011Record.jpg

Then my buddy and dive (tor)mentor Harold Gibson broke it...

Then I got it back in 2012...

2012RecordMonkey.jpg

2012Letter.jpg

2012Record.jpg

Then Harold broke it again...

Harold2012RecordMonkey.jpg

Then I got it back in 2013...

2013RecordMonkey.jpg

2013Letter.jpg

2013Record.jpg

And then Harold got bored with Monkeys and lost interest in beating me and I've still got it.

CADFWWebsite.JPG

Sorry, probably waaaaay more info than you ever wanted about Monkeys...like I said I used to be kinda obsessed with them.

: )

Sincerely,

Jim

those are bad ass monster eels...nice job....

Couple of nice BSP this morning on the incoming tide. Both 17". Got four others about 12" each. These two are my biggest to date. Gotta say switching out to single hooks has been great. So much easier to release fish and get in and out of storage. Thanks for that tip norcalkat.

Nice job man!! Told ya the single hooks the way to go, almost all my lures are single hooks now

cut and cooked up some of that bonito after bleed/ice..to me it taste pretty dang good.. pretty close to in taste but better then albacore.better then the yellowfin i got last year but not as good as the bluefin i got last year..

cut and cooked up some of that bonito after bleed/ice..to me it taste pretty dang good.. pretty close to in taste but better then albacore.better then the yellowfin i got last year but not as good as the bluefin i got last year..

I had some yesterday for the first time. Killer Bonito salad sandwiches. I was really impressed. I hear it makes great Sashimi too. Doesn't freeze well though,best to can it after its been frozen.

So, I gotta ask. Out front on the beach or back in the bay?

Sand Soles have "free rays" (look almost like little Mohawk feeler thingys at the beginning of the dorsal by the eye)...I don't see those on his fish....

SandSoleFreeRays.jpg

SandSole.jpg

Also, I can't see in the pic but a halibut's lateral line (on top and bottom) has a prominent arch over the pec fin....sand sole's lateral lines are much straighter...so if you see that arch and its under 22 inches throw it back....

ButtLateralLine.gif

Here's a pic of a nice little sand sole I shot while Halibut hunting earlier this year in Marin County....my buddy got the nice Starry.

ByCatch.jpg

I could see the "free rays" on him before I pulled the trigger...you can see them waving around once I pull him up here:

So, I'm pretty sure it's not a sand sole....I don't know the characteristics of a sand dab so can't help you there. : )

Sincerely,

Jim[/quote

So, I gotta ask. Out front on the beach or back in the bay?

Sand Soles have "free rays" (look almost like little Mohawk feeler thingys at the beginning of the dorsal by the eye)...I don't see those on his fish....

SandSoleFreeRays.jpg

SandSole.jpg

Also, I can't see in the pic but a halibut's lateral line (on top and bottom) has a prominent arch over the pec fin....sand sole's lateral lines are much straighter...so if you see that arch and its under 22 inches throw it back....

ButtLateralLine.gif

Here's a pic of a nice little sand sole I shot while Halibut hunting earlier this year in Marin County....my buddy got the nice Starry.

ByCatch.jpg

I could see the "free rays" on him before I pulled the trigger...you can see them waving around once I pull him up here:

So, I'm pretty sure it's not a sand sole....I don't know the characteristics of a sand dab so can't help you there. : )

Sincerely,

Jim[/quote

Thanks, Jim, for the video of the sand sole--such a clean kill shot, too.

My fish whatever it was was caught on the ocean side.

Was fishing with the son a popular inside the bay public pier and caught another flat fish. Left the pier to fish off some nearby rocks and got a perch. Was still getting bites, but had to get home to dinner. Fun, though, precision casting and keeping the Carolina rig off the rocks and seaweed. Never lost a rig the two times I've fished there in the past week, though, I saw a few others snap their lines.

post-61034-0-15490700-1472444073.jpeg

post-61034-0-89798000-1472444090.jpeg

post-61034-0-54112900-1472444102.jpeg

Sorry for the terrible photo quality but I think you guys will appreciate it nonetheless. This fish was the end of a three week long skunk of hard fishing. I hope to land 1 or 2 more stripers before the season winds down. Also this was the first keeper that I released.

post-72527-0-00422100-1472479833.jpg