Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sweetwater

Bucktailing rods

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

When conversations turn to bucktailing, some guys seem to prefer fast and some moderate rods for it. I was wondering what proportion of us choose which.

I chose fast bc I like to be able to pop the bucktail easier. A moderate rod feels sluggish in the way it makes the jig move in the water. I agree that casting distance does suffer though...

I chose mederate for the same reasons he chooses a fast lol... I personally feel more conected to the bt with a moderate rod. I can feel the bottom easier through the rod, and feel as though I can work it across the bottom much more naturally.

Bump for more votes. Right now it is 50-50 mod/modfast vs fast. I'm actually a little surprised. I was expecting 75% fast based on what I have read here over the years.

have posted this a few times recently lami 136 mh 11 foot blank with 10 " off the tip and 2 ' off the butt can push a 1 oz bucktail , sensitive , 4 oz is doable and can can hoist a 12- lb + fish gotta love it1809703

Most of my bucktailing is done by keeping the B/T as close to the bottom as possible ,usually bouncing it thru the rocks. With a mod/fast action rod I get better sensitivity and response. As the B/T hits a rock I need to lift the rod tip and try to clear the top of the rock to avoid snagging. Mod rods bend down so far it delays the response and I get hung up more. That's my preference and the reasons why.

I prefer fast to extra fast for jiggig the cape cod canal. A faster rod is easier or quicker to respond to the changing bottom structure. I also feel a faster rod is better for bite detection vs bumping against structure and better for hook set in fast current.