Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little Jon

First saltwater outfit gift for a beginner

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys..

I realise this subject usually turns ugly on forums but I'd like some advice regarding a starter outfit I plan to give a family member as a gift. I am in no mans land between novice and intermediate myself so lack the product knowledge to know a definitive answer, through trial and error I have put together outfits to suit my own needs but he struggles to get to grips with either playing good sized fish on a 7wt and looks completely lost casting a 10wt.

I plan to buy him an 8wt outfit with a reel which is on the larger side to accommodate a 9wt WF line to soften the action, aid loading and throwing into a stiff breeze.

Providing that doesn't come across as a silly idea can anybody suggest an affordable option that is ideally covered by some form of warranty, a rod that's happy being slightly overloaded and a reel that can take some abuse (I am swaying toward a hydros as I'm happy with mine and it's within the kind of budget I have in mind).

Appreciate any opinions you guys have, thanks

Might want to look at the orvis access series outfit. I have a 10wt and have had a few of the access reels. The rods are great and reel not to bad just wash after every outing. Can't beat the orvis warranty

Thanks for your contribution. I had been considering something from orvis purely on the basis of their warranty. Unfortunately I'm in the uk and we don't have an access outfit available, only as separate items and our prices seem considerably higher so that would come in at the very top end of my budget before entertaining the idea of fly lines and backing...

The access reel does look good on paper in terms of capacity but I think being from a fixed spool background he would benefit from the retrieve rate a slightly larger arbor would provide.

With that in mind and what funds I have available to me, would a 9' 8wt Clearwater and hydros IV or possibly V do the job?

The reel size would depend on how easy the Clearwater is to cast and wether he would benefit from slightly overloading the rod

Actually the clear water should have been my first recommendation. Great rod for the cash I've had a few. The hydro s reel is a very good reel I have one for my 2hander and 9wt I suppose that would be the next step up from the access reel. Much better drag and built like a tank. Maybe on the heavier side but not to bad.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks again! I shall go down the Clearwater/hydros route. I have a hydros VI which I'm quite rough with and it never misses a beat so I'm happy to buy another.

By fixed spool I actually mean a spinning reel, I'm slowly easing him into fly fishing as it never hurts to add another string to your bow!

I wouldnt worry too much about retrieve rate unless you were going for some bigger stuff. On schoolies and blues on my 8wt I have only had 1 fish that I wasnt able to strip in.

Fair point housey, we won't be coming across anything that huge but plenty of smaller tuna which are hard enough to keep up with when using a spinning reel!

Yours is also a good point Steve, the problem is there are no shops I know of that do used SW fly tackle anywhere near me and I'm not a fan of 'that' online auction site