Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassturds

fall walleye pike river tips

41 posts in this topic

going on a week long adventure starting this friday.

i never caught a walley before, (never fished for em) fished for pike twice, had one hit .

just looking for some help.

i have some really big 9 inch swimbaits and 7 inch glide bait im going to use. also got some big spoons as well

any tips would be gratly appriciatied

Cool

Above the dam in Turners? In a boat or wading?

Some nice fish swim in those waters so good luck.

If you need any advice let me know.

This time of year I usually switch from spinnerbaits to jerkbaits for Pike in my river. 4"-6" seem to work best in bright colors.

I don't target Walleye in rivers much, but I do very well this time of year in the lakes with plastic swimbaits on lead jigheads bounced along the bottom.

that was my plan! i have a ton of plastics. i fish for bass alot, so i got a lot of plastics. mostly craws. but a few swimbaits, small swimbaits

i have a few large bass lures that will work for pike. i dont need a monster of both fish. i just want to cross them off my bucketlist

Big Mepps with bucktail trebles or plain treble

and 7 " Rebels etc for pike

A nightcrawler or small shiner on a spinner rig off the bottom just slow enough to turn the blade or jigs for Walleye

Small jigs and plastic trailers /

grubs with just small bullet weight texas rigged etc for smallie. If you can catch crayfish you will be very pleased.

Nice smallies in the river feeding heavy now with winter approaching and you are most likely to catch sm bass.

Crawlers might get you some large fallfish which the Pikes and smallies love.

God I miss fishing the CT

Best of luck man and don't forget to let us know how your trip went.

If I was younger and healthier I would meet you out there and show you some spots.

Caught a bunch of smallies in the 4 to 7 lb range in the river and almost all of them on live crayfish in the 3 to 4" range.

River smallies fight so well!

wow thats awesome. i love smallies and if they are even more agressive then lake smallies. i need to catch one of these super agressive smallies i keep hearing about, wachusetts smallies ive heard fight like hell but i havent landed one YET!!!!

im super pumped this week. salmon river huge salmon steelies and browns, wachuset lakers landlocks and smallies, CT river pike and eyes

I don't fish that area but i get the Walleye on a jig and minnow 75% of the time on the fall some times i use a YUM grub on the jig ... When we troll the number 1 producing bait is a white shad style deep diver

yea i got plenty of craw imitations, and other plastics. love the simple ball head and plastic

most of them are black and dark colors. does color make a difference with eyes?? do they bite bright colors better vs dark colors?? or do they feed on bait fish more then craws??