2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab unexpected rusted frame

bob_G

mooks,

If you saw this truck, you'd swear it was under 5 years old. The body looks great. Nice shiny body. Floor boards perfect. Everything else if fine. Except there's no frame anymore.   There's no way they can put it on a lift b/c it will break in half (as many have I'm told).  So I have no idea how they can remove the old frame?

I still have a sneaking suspicion they'll offer to buy me out.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Toyotas rust like hell. If you take a close look at any of the vehicles that are 10+ years old, almost all of them have significant rust issues. Toyota is famous for it and so is MA. Nevertheless, I hope they take care of this for you. That's really rough. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

I've been thinking about buying a tacoma for 5 years now and every time I go to pull the trigger, I can't go through with it. 

I feel like the key to owning these vehicles is to own them for a few years and sell them to get the new one. They have great resale value and then you don't have to deal with stuff like this.

Edited by Alpha

I have not heard of any buy outs lately. Get the thousand dollar amount written that it will be all the out of pocket expense that will be your responsible for.

Are they giving you  a replacement vehicle while yours is in the shop?

There's no need to blow smoke up my ass as a lengthy preamble to your insulting another person. It doesn't fool anyone and it doesn't garner any favor.

TimS ---Tim To Otshawytsha October 16 2018 #3956

John,

That's b/c some first owners have sold the trucks with soft frames used, to unsuspecting buyers, with the hopes that it's now someone else's problem. The second generation owner learns he bought a truck with bad frame, comes back to the guy who sold it to him looking for answers, and or his $$$ back.

Now the original owner is looking to get a new frame to avoid being sued or having to give the $$$ back.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Ok, update.

Brought the truck in this week.  Had a flat bed bring it in. Brakes were locked and had to drive/drag it onto the flat bed.  Tow truck driver said he never saw a truck frame so bad. There's was no frame, nothing to attach cables to,  so he made me sign a release. 

Dropped it off at the dealer, and as soon as we drove in, I saw and counted 37 brand new frames all stacked up far out in back. Out of sight.  So they have beau coup frames.

Once inside, I got the old 'we have no frames available' routine. 'Don't know how long....might take months' routine.

We talked, I made my point, and they brought the truck right in. 

As we stand, they will do all the needed frame replacement, with the only out of pocket money to me will be $1000 for things like shocks, locked brakes, emer brake cable, etc.

Thoughts anyone?

tia

$1000 for a new frame, shocks, brakes, etc sounds like a great deal.  You'll be able to get another 5-8 years out of that truck without any headaches.  The other option is to by a new truck for $32,000.  I'd go with the $1000 option.

That is a serious amount of work. But hell for only a grand, I'd take them up on it. There are ways (not 100% foolproof) you can protect yourself if the dealer tries to weasel out or start reneging on what they promised. The key is getting an estimate in writing, and that is where you'll probably get pushback or foot dragging from the dealer.

-bd

Pfantum Pfishah

• 2 weeks later...