Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab unexpected rusted frame

116 posts in this topic

The 2016 will be debuted at the Detroit Auto show on 1/12/15. The body is meh in my opinion from the released pics. Here is a pic. Let's see what they have done under the hood and the frame.

[img=

Here some of the pics I saw today of the 2016. I kinda like it. Hope they added an extra gear. A lock on the tailgate? wow...lol

I watched the reveal and the presenter mentioned high strength steel for the frame, that's nice but it would have been better if he mentioned it would be a more rust proof frame. The beige colored truck is the TRD Off-Road. I like that grill more than the blue one which is the Limited edition. The 4cyl is available with a 6 speed automatic only and the new 3.5l V6 is available with the 6 speed auto and a newer 6 speed manual. I wonder what the suspension specs will be.

I watched the reveal and the presenter mentioned high strength steel for the frame, that's nice but it would have been better if he mentioned it would be a more rust proof frame. The beige colored truck is the TRD Off-Road. I like that grill more than the blue one which is the Limited edition. The 4cyl is available with a 6 speed automatic only and the new 3.5l V6 is available with the 6 speed auto and a newer 6 speed manual. I wonder what the suspension specs will be.

Nice to the see the 6 speed in the 2.7. :)

I had noticed this thread about a week ago and checked online to see if there were any recalls on my '04 Tundra, sadly I didn't see any. On Saturday as I turned into my street I heard a loud clunk(snap). I wiggled the steering wheel to see if I could notice anything clunking and sure enough I could hear and feel something. I figured I'd drop it off at my mechanic and it would be something like a sway bar link or the like....this morning he called and said "You've got some serious problems with this truck, the frame snapped". Right where the sway bar link mounts to the frame it had snapped. He told me to call Toyota and give them my VIN#, they ran it and lo and behold I'm covered! They are going to put a brand new frame under a truck with 173,000 miles on it at no cost to me. I'm kind of in shock right now as the recall expires in July and after that it would be all my problem. I guess it's always worth calling to see if there's anything they can do!

I had noticed this thread about a week ago and checked online to see if there were any recalls on my '04 Tundra, sadly I didn't see any. On Saturday as I turned into my street I heard a loud clunk(snap). I wiggled the steering wheel to see if I could notice anything clunking and sure enough I could hear and feel something. I figured I'd drop it off at my mechanic and it would be something like a sway bar link or the like....this morning he called and said "You've got some serious problems with this truck, the frame snapped". Right where the sway bar link mounts to the frame it had snapped. He told me to call Toyota and give them my VIN#, they ran it and lo and behold I'm covered! They are going to put a brand new frame under a truck with 173,000 miles on it at no cost to me. I'm kind of in shock right now as the recall expires in July and after that it would be all my problem. I guess it's always worth calling to see if there's anything they can do!

unreal that they will do that considering how many miles you have on it.

Yeah, it got towed to the dealership last night, all they need to do is inspect it and start working. My mechanic said that the bottom 3/4 of the frame was complete rotted away to the point where it just snapped. If this isn't a case for a replacement I don't know what is. I tried with both the dealer and Toyota USA to try and get a buyback, and it was never even close to being an option. Supposedly each dealership has sent a team to be trained to do a frame swap, they're doing quite a few right now I guess. Could take up to 3 months........

Yeah, it got towed to the dealership last night, all they need to do is inspect it and start working. My mechanic said that the bottom 3/4 of the frame was complete rotted away to the point where it just snapped. If this isn't a case for a replacement I don't know what is. I tried with both the dealer and Toyota USA to try and get a buyback, and it was never even close to being an option. Supposedly each dealership has sent a team to be trained to do a frame swap, they're doing quite a few right now I guess. Could take up to 3 months........

do they give you a loaner in the mean time?

Toyota USA said up to a month, someone else I talked to said they had a loaner for the entire time (which at this point has been 2 months), the dealership that its at said they would take care if me as far as a loaner vehicle went....we shall see.

When I took my Tacoma in for the slave cylinder the mechanic found the rotted frame and wouldn't let me drive it off their lot. The dealer immediately made arrangements for me to get a loaner car through them. Maybe they realized that I didn't have any other means of transport since I had ridden in with the tow truck. They had my truck for almost 10 weeks because they had to get the frame from the factory and it had to be made first. My truck is a 2006 regular cab. They also had a list of things that "needed" fixing which I have taken care of. Its like riding in a new truck again. Oh they also fixed the slave cylinder for free, but that was part of a deal I arranged when bought the used Tacoma from them because the loaner car was useless to me. Ron

I just got my work truck back, it's a 2006 Tacoma. Toyota had it since November 2014 for the frame replacement. When I brought it in for inspection they said it was rusted and that I had to leave it until the frame came in. One of the other guys I work with brought his 2005 in and his was rusted and they said drive it until your frame gets here. Same dealership, go figure. I told them it was a work vehicle and they gave me a loaner for the entire time, a new Camry.

first time I saw this thread, I have a 2007 Taco with frame recall, brought it in about 6 ? mos ago (Falmouth Toyota) for the inspect and they said there was tiny hole in the frame in the front somewhere and that the frame would be replaced when they got one in and they'd call, haven't heard anything yet, in the meantime I've gotten a couple of emails about supposed deals on new or used Tacos ? 

any updates on the 2016s ? may be interesting to see how they want to play this

Ok, update.

Brought the truck in this week.  Had a flat bed bring it in. Brakes were locked and had to drive/drag it onto the flat bed.  Tow truck driver said he never saw a truck frame so bad. There's was no frame, nothing to attach cables to,  so he made me sign a release. 

Dropped it off at the dealer, and as soon as we drove in, I saw and counted 37 brand new frames all stacked up far out in back. Out of sight.  So they have beau coup frames.

Once inside, I got the old 'we have no frames available' routine. 'Don't know how long....might take months' routine.

We talked, I made my point, and they brought the truck right in. 

As we stand, they will do all the needed frame replacement, with the only out of pocket money to me will be $1000 for things like shocks, locked brakes, emer brake cable, etc.

Thoughts anyone?

tia