Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab unexpected rusted frame

116 posts in this topic

So, I crawl under my Toyota Tacoma today b/c I'm planning on having the original exhaust system replaced this week. A REAL SURPRISE! :shock:

I couldn't believe how much the frame was rusted. Not just surface rust, but real deep invasive rust. I never expected this.

Truck has miles on it. But it's been well cared for. Oil changed every 3000-4000 miles. Body looks great. But the frame......:shock:

Now a buddy tells me there was a recall on the frames. Certain years between 2000-2005 had bad steel. Frames were replaced or trucks were bought back. OK, what the hell? Why didn't I hear about this? I don't ever recall getting anything in the mail, or a phone call from the dealer. Hell, the dealer used to email me, trying to sign me up for every service plan in the book.

Any thoughts? How should I proceed?

tia

Moocks how did you upload that? I was trying to do the same thing and was getting told it wasn't allowed. :mad:

Good luck Bob.

I got connections :D

Just click the paperclip icon and browse to the location of the file on your computer.

Call Toyota with your Vin and they can tell you if your truck fits the recall. Good luck. Recently brought my tundra for a re call and it was butchered at the dealer. Hope your dealer better than mine

Thanks guy. But I'm not liking the sound of this. :(

It said I had until Oct of 2010 to apply for either a new frame or a buy back? But Isn't Toyota required to inform me somehow? Mail, email, or a phone call. I mean the dealer is under a mile from my home. :confused:

How was I to know the steel was bad in my frame?

When I buy a used car I always bring it to the dealer for an oil chang and have them enter my address in there system and then check for recalls. I've had 12 year old cars get free recall work.

Buddy just bought a used, 2008, I believe it is, asked the dealer about the frame swap out, they said yes, you qualify under the recall, it's been 3 months so far, with no word. My understanding is that they have to build the frames overseas, then ship them to the dealer, who then removes the old one, and bolts on the new one, could take up to 6 months. Bob, I would take it to the dealer, and see if you qualify, if they say no, then ask them why weren't you notified.

After researching this further online, I've learned there were two recalls. One for the inferior steel/corrosion used in the frames, the other for inferior steel/corrosion used in the spare tire hanger bracket.

I was not notified of either.

I wasn't notified on mine, I don't know if anyone was ever 'notified' about the frame issue. I brought my truck to the dealer when i was looking for a new one. They looked at the frame and told me I wasn't getting my truck back and the frame was being replaced. They gave me a loaner, it tok them 3-4 weeks to get it done, most of that time was waiting for the frame to come in. I think it was about a week once the frame arrived.

ps - i knew about the frame issue for quite a while, I heard it from friends, saw it online (here and elsewhere). It seemed to be pretty well known at the time. I went ot the dealership that day expecting them to take the truck back and they did.

This is a pretty common/well known problem. Google tacomaworld, there is tons of info on those boards on how people are dealing with the issue (even with the 2nd gens). I just picked up a few cans of fluid film for my new one. Last I remember for the 1st gens the frame recall was good until 15 years after the build date of the truck, so with an 04 you should be within that window.

This is a pretty common/well known problem. Google tacomaworld, there is tons of info on those boards on how people are dealing with the issue (even with the 2nd gens). I just picked up a few cans of fluid film for my new one. Last I remember for the 1st gens the frame recall was good until 15 years after the build date of the truck, so with an 04 you should be within that window.

Well, I'm not so sure. :confused:

From what I've been reading, this may be the case if you had the 'inspection'. How was I supposed to know I needed an 'inspection'? I was never notified. I'm really not a car guy by any stretch of the imagination. I buy a car or truck, drive it, maintain and move on. Wouldn't someone think Toyota would have made some attempt to contact me regarding this problem?

They sent my dozens of emails regarding sales and service related specials. Wouldn't you think they could have let me know about something as significant as this?