Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yakman-Canada

Fall time Walleye bite starting to pick up... WOO HOO!

15 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakman-Canada View Post

Its a little early here to. but the temperature is doping fast here. I off for a week on the 20th... Lets hope it stays cool.

I am actually hoping for a little bit of warm weather myself. My main quarry is flathead catfish and I want to catch a couple before old man winter ruins that chance for the next 4-5 months. LOL.

But, once water temps hit the lower 50's I will be wading riffles for marbles!

I like 2 lures for fall walleye.

A size 13 Husky Jerk cranked in extra slow along edges and breaks against the current.

A 1/4oz-1/2oz jighead with a simple twister tail grub worked through the riffles and along drop offs with the current or perpendicular to the current.

Try flicker shad awesome bait here on the troll big on number 7 or 9 pearl color or mouse i run the jig to but lighter 1/32-1/4

we also run the worm harness with a keel weight.

Ever catch a Blue walleye?

Lakes yes Great ones and small lakes too! Ontario and Quebec for the most part. i also fish Florida a few times a year. 

Blues are all over if the lake has 100% natural walleye species. Don't think sauger count as natural species. Im no expert but i think it has to do with the protective slime that gives them the blue colour. Ive caught lot of them. When they first come out of the water. They shine really deep dark blue more blue then silver. i try and get a photo of one fresh out of the water to show you. 

I guide for walleye, pike mostly but sometimes take on other fish for fun or if the clients want somthing new. My clients come from Europe mostly. 

Here is a picture of a blue. not the best photo. Ill look for a better one. 

I heard of blue walleye. Aren't they native to Wisconsin and Minnesota waters?

I landed one last fall here in NNJ that was displaying the blue walleye traits on its tail. Its actually their slime having a blueish tint to it, believed to help protect them from UV rays (called "sandercyanin"). Very cool stuff.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1812842/]

I am going to have to pay closer attention to some of the walleye I catch this year. I usually catch them at night time so colors appear quite different then they would in sunlight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunk City View Post

I landed one last fall here in NNJ that was displaying the blue walleye traits on its tail. Its actually their slime having a blueish tint to it, believed to help protect them from UV rays (called "sandercyanin"). Very cool stuff.

Nice Walleye bud. I see a little blue... But not near what i am talking about. Do you see in my photos the blue walleye have zero gold or yellow in them. they have more a of silver black look in the photo... i'm off to fish for walleye next week and the area i am fishing does not have to many blue ones but if i get one ill take a photo for you. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plug Em All View Post

They've been catching walleyes in the Delaware river right now. I'm going fishing in it this Saturday & Sunday bringing the boat too! 

sorry for the late response ... How did you do?