caranx

Surf Fishing the Tropics

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hola Nicola,

Como estas amigo?

Those are awesome pictures!

Cough it up... Give some details. wink.gif

Also, will I see ya again in Costa Rica (same time next year)? I will have a bunch of butterfly jigs with me? biggrin.gif

Aren't those reels the high end shimanos??? Looks like them anyway. The water is beautiful. I'm headed for turks and caicos in two weeks for a week of fishing. S

Caranx - Outstanding! Just so everyone knows - those are horse-eyed jacks. A very close relative to the jack crevelle. They are brutes and will not give up the fight. Not great eating but fabulous sport for the surf fisherman!! Thanks for posting the great photos!

Hi everybody,

just to answer few questions, the places are the Maldives and Kenn Reef in Eastern Australia, Coral Sea. The reels are Daiwa Saltiga 6000 and Shimano Stella 20000. The fish are Giant Trevallies, and Coral Trout (a kind of indo pacific Grouper). These places offer great shore fishing oportunities, in Cato reef, near Kenn Reef in Oz, they have landed a 100lb GT from shore an dthis is something. At the Maldives I tried first time this year and had a massive shark following my popper and another unknown strike inn hour of fishing from that beautiful little reef. In my humble opinion, lan ding this kind of fish from shore is a pretty unique experience, firts of all because they are brute fighters, second because you never know what will hit your lure, and third because the environment is absolutely amazing.

Alberto, I hope we'll catch up again next year, I'm putting together my trips for winter/spring and looks like an interesting season, lot of fishing in Africa. Let's keep in touch

ciao

Nicola smile.gif