Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cowhunter

Pluggin'....Can't Break This Damn Habbit!

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Gotta tell you guys, I have been fishing really hard this past year putting alot of time in and learning alot of new areas. I have caught good numbers of Striped bass, 63 so far 20lbs to 28lbs with Many Times that in the teens, however I have yet to break the 30lb mark for the season. Now one of the main reasons for this has got to be that I have not been throwing Eels! I just can't break the habbit of throwing plugs! I was just out fishing this past Wensday and Thursday night with ArneP and Bob Celico. Before I drove out to Rhody I bought 30 dollars of the biggest eels I can find around here and drove up to go fishing. On Wendsday night I had 33 bass up to 26lbs and on Thursday night I had 29 bass up to 20lbs. Out of all those fish I did not catch any on eels because I didn't throw a single one! I pretty much wasted 30 bucks on eels and it hasn't been the first time this year either...This time last year I would not have touched a plug, in fact that has always been the case beginning the mid to end of June until October. Man, I gotta find away to break out of this habit!!!!

Keep on pluggin C.H.! icon14.gif Nothing wrong with that,and it seems like your rackin up some nice scores anyway! No doubt the biggest cows are falling to eels & chunks,but i get a better feeling when i can take em on a plug,kinda like the thrill of the hunt..I said i would bait fish more this spring/summer,but i havent yet,just a couple innings with eels.The bucktail has been working nicely for me,but like you said,not many large..maybe time to sling some snakes again? I'm getting cow hungry..fall is coming!

Yeah...keep on Pluggin!! Im not much of a bait kinda guy myself, but do when I have to. Pluggin aint that bad.wink.gif

Cowhunter, are you catching these bass surfishing or backbay fishing??? I guess I need to start fishing in Rhode Island now...Huhsmile.gif

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

[This message has been edited by Striperfever (edited 07-23-2001).]

Yea Cowhunter, yer gonna get a lot of sympathy from meicon15.gificon15.gifwink.gif Awww, poor Ken can't stop pluggin' up 20-28#fish....awwwww!

cwm14.gif Poor cowhunter! wink.gif

Yer gonna have to do better than that if you want any sympathy from me?!?! smile.gif And I'm still on deck for a drive.

TimS

Hello Cowhunter.

Glad to hear you are still catching the bigger ones.

I guess the big ones have all moved to cooler water.

Please note that I have not read too many reports of 50's being caught anywhere.

Sad

Pluggin' what's wrong with that? I believe that a 5" Rebel has been known to lure really, really big stripers in the past. wink.gif

Seriously, once you start pluggin' its hard to stop. But, toss an eel out there and ssssllllloooowwwwwlllllyyyy reel her back in and you will feel electricty pumping through your veins. At any second.... BAMM!! then you won't want to go back to plugs! wink.gif

luke

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 07-23-2001).]

Cowhunter,

If you want to change your name to "Cowcatcher" you have got to stop using those foolish wooden Hab's plugs rolleyes.gif, besides, what fun is it to watch a bass explode on your popper or erupt on your needlefish.

I think Hab is on the Cape right now...delivering plugs and fishing eels...only kidding...he's a squidhound! wink.gif

Water temperatures are climbing and unless your working areas that abut nearby deep water, your probably not going to get any visits by the cows your looking for.

Have you been getting all your fish under cover of darkness, or are you still connecting at pre-dawn and sunup?

Mike

[This message has been edited by Fish_Eye (edited 07-23-2001).]

i knew what i wanted to tell you.

use the big slugos in olive. they take large. i think Tim sells them here.

i use a custom poured black eel it around 10 or 12" long.

they take large. if you find that they are hitting when you reel slow, then go to slugos and long rubber and black needles. it works for large.

hope i helped.

p.s. keep drillin tim , i like watching him go through withdrawl wink.gif

Brett, I even rigged some eels but never got a chance to throw them, soon....

StriperFever, I have been catching ALL these Bass on the open Ocean...

TimS, Tim whenever you wanna take a drive let me know, I've got alot of time now. Just those one day trips kill me, been going for at least two days or so. I actually wanted to go up to Maine and fish up there for four days this week if all works out, Never Surf Fished up there but would love too. Just one of those places I have been dying to explore....

CatchNRelease, Haven't heard from you in a while there.....Yeah, actually haven't heard of two many Fifties being caught, John Skinner recently caught one 53 lbs. Other than that it has been mostly with the boats, and I have heard of a few of them...

Fish-Eye, all my fish have been Dusk until Dawn, I fish all night long!!! Yeah, I am sure Tim will agree....YOU HAVE TO TALK WITH THAT JOHN HAB'S AND TELL HIM TO GET MORE NEEDLEFISH OUT and FAST!!! Myself and Bob Celico cleaned Tim out a few weeks ago when I bought the rest of Tim's Stock, nearly $400.oo Dollars worth. Tell ya what, John should see what some of my needlefish look like!! They have taken some serious abuse and went through hook changes after every single night of fishing, and worst of all I have only one left in the 2 1/2 ounce Parrot Color!!!! smile.gif

Bassmaster I some of them big sluggo's and have them ready for use, unfortunatley like Fish-Eye Hinted, the Fish have been near deep water. Everything I caught was at the VERY end of my cast, and believe me with the wading I am doing along with the casting I am getting WAY OUT, sluggo's will not reach....No doubt they catch big fish though...

ahhh i here you on that my man, you know what. last year we were slaying the bass. and my bud walks up with a 46" bass. i go nice. he turns around and it took a castmaster. do me a flavor put on one of those and toss it a night, pm me and let me know how you do.

any way we all tossed tin over the bar and got large. i cant believe how big fish eat some lures

needlefish rule this year for me. along with all the other stuff i toss in the suds.

but i must say the rubber is dead KILLER. im goin to start pouring these soon , have prototype mold made and will take it from there.the color is black and is around 12" long give or take a few". side by side i smoked a guy on eels bass to barely tappin 30lbs on sat.they were all large that night,no small, it was nice. who knows maybe some lead up front in the pour might work. have you thought of the old egg sinker trick ar 4oz jig head trick.

ahhhh the i gotta cast as far and get wet from suds trick..................

happy bassin..........

oh luke stop it bubba you know your my favorite heart.gif

[This message has been edited by bassmaster (edited 07-24-2001).]