Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

"Boy the way Glenn Miller played.

Songs that made the hit parade,

Guys like us,we had it made.

Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then.

Girls were girls and men were men.

Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.

Didnt need no welfare states.

Everybody pulled his weight.

Gee our old Lasalle ran great.

Those were the days."

As strange as this sounds both my brother and I were in the Archie Bunker fan club I still have a button that says ......Archie Bunker for President He tells it like it WAS... many nites as a kid did we get around the TV to watch him rant and rave about evertthing that was a great show g`nite Archie......................John

I actually cried a few times watching that show. On episode in particular was the one when Archie and Meathead were locked in the basement. They were going at it like only they did and then Meathead made a comment about how he hated his father. I remember Archie being so upset by that comment. He went into this whole thing about how your Dad was the first guy to throw a ball with you; was the first guy to show you how to be a man; etc. Gosh, I get choked-up thinking about it now....

What a guy! For all of his crazy comments, his warped view of the races, etc., he represented the good man.

In life, Carroll O'Connor was a great man. A shame about his kid, but O'Connor used that awful situation as motivation to get out and preach against drug abuse and about the severity of depression and such. This guy was a good, good man.

Missed indeed.

THE KID

I remember growing up with Archie, Sunday nights, at my grandparents house for dinner, or a family get together. After dinner we would sit around the TV and watch what Archie had to say.

The good old days.

------------------

Robert

Although he is most famous for his portrayal of Archie Bunker, his work done after Hugh died was just as, if not more, important.

I've been spending the week up in Boston, MA, for work and, ironically, the night before my co-workers and I were sitting in the Bull & Finch Pub (aka Cheers) and the bartender was kind enough to give up her control of the TV remote. We put on All In The Family. I was shocked to hear the news the next day...

------------------

John B

mako7@monmouth.com

a very sad episode was when edith died, I remember getting a little verclempt at that one..

and I remember laughing my butt off as a kid, not realizing what the show was about, then as I grew up and learned what the show was really about, I laughed even harder...

BC