Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allen sklar

more dead fish......

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

......decided to go see if i could get me a tuna on the isle today......down at the line dead croakers began washing up about 2pm, at 4pm they were up to the point, not thick but plenty of em....they weren't the old kill these were fresh....

DSCN3220croaker.jpg

I did find a tuna but it was ....well dead....plenty of nice maggotts cleanin it up...latest thing in health care i hear....

DSCN3223tuna.jpg

DSCN3221maggots.jpg

last but not least saw our good friend bill p who was fishin and campin with his grand daughter and friend, always good to chat with bill...he hadn't caught nothin all week.

DSCN3217billp.jpg

....wind was pickin up when i left.....

Darn, that is a buncha bad news. Another fish kill and Bill P strikin' out doesn't bode well for anyone's success. Amazing there actually was another tuna! I wonder what the heck is going on with that? How long do guess that specimen was, Allen?

...and thanks a whole bunch for that one closeup, btw eek.gif

Allen - I lurk here mostly, but realy enjoy yous reports, stories and pictures. Thanks

Anyway, you might want to consider reporting what you obsrved:

The Department asks that individuals who see an accumulation of dead fish in waters of the state report it through any of the contact numbers below.

Maryland Department of the Environment

Technical and Regulatory Services Administration

Fish Kill Investigation Section

416 Chinquapin Round Road, Annapolis, MD 21401

Normal work hours: 1-800-285-8195

After hours: 1-888-584-3110 or 1-866-4686

The annual summary may be obtained by contacting Chris Luckett at 443-482-2731.

Marylands Website for fishkills can be found at:

Allen - I lurk here mostly, but realy enjoy yous reports, stories and pictures. Thanks

Anyway, you might want to consider reporting what you obsrved:

The Department asks that individuals who see an accumulation of dead fish in waters of the state report it through any of the contact numbers below.

Maryland Department of the Environment

Technical and Regulatory Services Administration

Fish Kill Investigation Section

416 Chinquapin Round Road, Annapolis, MD 21401

Normal work hours: 1-800-285-8195

After hours: 1-888-584-3110 or 1-866-4686

The annual summary may be obtained by contacting Chris Luckett at 443-482-2731.

Marylands Website for fishkills can be found at:

http://www.mde.state.md.us/programs/...s_md/index.asp

.....i did go as far as put the dead croaker in my bucket in case i saw a ranger but as fate would have it ....not one in sight.

This am while throwing my usual bucktail (lost 2)in the oc inlet, saw several dead ones floating but no accumulation on the beach when i checked. While a biologist by education don't claim to know much about fish kills so my paranoria as to the cause is probably unfounded, yet the cold water upwelling theory don't sound all that good considering the wind patterns lately........one thing is a fact them seagulls on the beach were well satisfied and could hardly lift off as i approached...............looked like some of the big ones were unable to fly...what a feast!

I just got back from Carova N.C. (north of Corolla" my wife saw a lot of dead crokers three days in a row. I wondered what happened asked around but no answers.