Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sfsteel

Avet SX --- best rod for stripers?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I purchased an Avet SX this spring and LOVE it - have it on a Shimano Trevala 6'6 - its been a great "all purpose" rod for me. Very good for the price.

Ideally, I want to purchase 2 more set-ups to replace my spinning live bait setups (Shimano Baitrunners) - So these will mostly be used for livelining mackeral, live eel drifting. I do like the Trevala but I my want to try something different I think.

Was wondering if folks have any suggestions - I'm a big fan of cork grips, probably going to bump up to a 7' rod - MH. I also was wondering what type of line (mono or braid - what test) folks use for live-line fishing on AVET SX reels. I've heard good things about Lamiglas/St Croix rods but get a little confused by which ones I should be ordering online without seeing them in person.

-Lamiglas

-St Croix

-Seeker Blue lightning

Any others I should consider? Could you also provide detail (link possibly) on which model/size you have and use - specifically for striped bass?

Thanks in advance!

Sam

I've been looking at the St Croix rods for a while for different setups but never pulled the trigger due to the price, I've always heard great things.. although I know there are folks that swear by the Lamiglas brand rods (from what I understand - for good reason). 

I know there are any number of ways to go with this, but if others have strong recommendations I'd love to hear them out and research. 

- Sam

I have a Calstar GF 700L. It's a composite rod, light and strong and perfect for live bait such as Sardines. It has landed 30LB California Yellowtail with no issues. Great rod overall and I believe they have a cork grip config as well. Hope this helps you match up your needs a bit more. 

I actually have a Tiger Lite on another reel i could switch that over...thinking hard about the st croix avid inshore (looking at the 7'), but the lamiglas tri-flex series and the calstars are a consideration. 

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ill give this some thought. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by agoldie7 View Post

I have the avet Sx with the trevala medium 6'6". NIce combo spooled up w/ 50 pound power pro. jigging and drifting eels

What he said =) 

I own the same combo its perfect

If you want something a little larger and with cork grips look at the shimano teramars. Lot of rod for the money. If you want to go with something really nice check out the g loomis pro blue's. The calstar 700 xlh blank is a really nice inshore blank, and will have to be a custom build with cork grips.