Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steven

Reel Maintenance

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Just a quick question about cleaning reels. After cleaning the drag washers do you use a little lubricant such as reel oil or grease on the metal washers before putting them back?

In regards to the guts of the reel, I assume you clean out the old/dirty/salty grease with a solvent and re-pack with new grease?

Is Penn "Muscle Grease" ok?

Thanks for your help.

There's a choice and a tradeoff between fishing your drag washers wet and dry. Soft washers designed for dry use - which is most of them - get erratic with a drop or two of grease. Penn HT100 and Smoothies were designed for dry use. Teflon washers (if you can get a set for anything but a spinning reel)need a smidge of lube, and the new Silky Smoothies are prelubed. Yes, HT100 and Smoothies can be lubed - but what you gain in smoothness, you lose in peak pressure.

Teflon is great stuff, but has a low max drag load. I have a Newell 220 newly fitted with a Teflon drag set. Great setup for the 12 lb line fitted, not a good idea for, say, a 4/0. FWIW almost all my other reels are fitted with stock HT100 washers, installed dry. If you want wet, check the new Silky Smoothies, prelubed by the manufacturer and meant to be used "wet".

Most aftermarket conversions of wet to dry drags involve applying Shimano reel grease to Penn HT100 washers.

Steven,

What type of reel are you talking about?

I use Shimano, Daiwa, and Pflueger spinning reels. All three of them simply require a drop or two of reel oil on each washer before you put them back in, NOT grease. Grease works but will eventually squeeze out, making the drag a bit erratic for a while.

Be very careful when you are removing and cleaning your drag washers to not let sand get into them, particularly the soft-type washers. That will ruin a drag, of course. Spray all around the drag area with WD40 before taking it apart, to get rid of any grit.

I never put any kind of solvent on my drag washers. I just use a cloth to clean the hard washers, and just flick the soft ones with my finger to dislodge any derbris. A couple of drops of oil and back in they go.

TH