Reading the water...

Rate this topic

15 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

That was an epic few days.  And unfortunately an epic slaughter.  

I remember the bounce back stripers had in the early 2000's after the moratorium in the 80's ( I never saw a rock fish back in those days ).  I saw a photo of stripers stacked up like cordwood on the charter docks at Oregon Inlet ...and thought to myself..." this can't go on like this".  I think we are paying the price now....

32 mins ago, dixiekraut said:

I remember the bounce back stripers had in the early 2000's after the moratorium in the 80's ( I never saw a rock fish back in those days ).  I saw a photo of stripers stacked up like cordwood on the charter docks at Oregon Inlet ...and thought to myself..." this can't go on like this".  I think we are paying the price now....

Take a look at Winter Flounder.  I have not caught one in years and don’t fish for them any longer.  Back in the 70’s when we were clueless, we kept way too many.  Nothing went to waste but really should have releases a lot more than we did.  100 in a day was fairly normal.  I bear some blame for sure.  I am 99% catch and release now.  

That said, with the price of meat going through the roof I may reconsider 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Really miss him posting ; I regret not to introduce my self a couple times that I saw him on the beach(I didn’t want to bother him)hi was an enciclopedia of fishing, I still use his shock leader knot and go back to some of the all post, hope hi is doing okay enjoy in life,