Reading the water...

Rate this topic

What happened to Poppy? Is been a long time since he posted. I hope all is well?

Unknown . . . I looked at his profile and his last post on this forum was over a year ago, on 9 / 1 / 2013 .

"Fishing is our Handshake, our Language. A Heritage that binds us together. A Passage our fathers took. A Journey that lasts a lifetime, that we have begun again with our sons and daughters." George "Gowge" Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez2cdave View Post

Unknown . . . I looked at his profile and his last post on this forum was over a year ago, on 9 / 1 / 2013 .

Keep reading and you will see there was a difference of opinions.  His last post explained his intent to take a break.  I was hoping he would eventually show up again as I enjoyed most of his posts but do not foresee that happening.

:rav:

Keep reading and you will see there was a difference of opinions.  His last post explained his intent to take a break.  I was hoping he would eventually show up again as I enjoyed most of his posts but do not foresee that happening.

So, the forum lost it's greatest resource over some petty "BS" . . . A tragedy.

"Fishing is our Handshake, our Language. A Heritage that binds us together. A Passage our fathers took. A Journey that lasts a lifetime, that we have begun again with our sons and daughters." George "Gowge" Pope

There are many great resources here and we have lost more than a few in the short time I have been a member. Tides change and fishing forums are no different - new resources will be added along the way and others will ebb out.  I enjoyed Poppy's posts but miss the likes of Bill Klein, Plug, and HPD just as much.  I never knew any of them from Adam but respected their experience, input, and especially the wit of at least one of the aforementioned. Disagreements and "Petty BS" are a constant in the natural order; we can remain in the past or look to the future. I didn't agree with much of what occurred on both sides of the fence but I choose to forgive and move on.  Life is too short perpetuate Petty "BS".  I wish Poppy well and hope the fish show up soon as the winter doldrums have already set in.

:rav:

I just realize that I missed wishing a happy 10th birthday to this Reading The Water thread :)

I too found it enlightening when I first got seriously into "studying" the art of surf fishing ... which is about the time I came to the realization that fishing was a lot more than just happening to be in the right spot at the right time with the right bait ;)

After a few years I finally "graduated", and have since enrolled in continuing education :D

I'm finally starting to understand a little bit thanks to this! Quick question will all predatory fish be using the same type of water or is it different for each species? Let's say will sharks use this like a stripper would or will they be out by that second sand bar? Same with let's say croakes or king fish (whiting)

Once again, thanks for all contributors. Any idea how to fish this channel? It has a pretty strong south-bound flow into an open sea. It is a muddy shallow place with little to no rocks/structure to break the flow and be an obvious ambushing location. It has no obvious pockets at low. Probably fish the outgoing tide/lowest tide and the flats at the incoming?

Sorry if it's vague but kinda new to this country.

aLkNNi5.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great information on this forum.  As a relatively new fisherman I have been getting more and more into fishing in the last 2 - 3 years becoming more mindful of beach structure and optimal spots to fish on. I must have overlooked these cues a million times in the past but these posts, especially the pictures along with them, has done an excellent job explaining and understanding what would be much more difficult to comprehend standing on the beach side.

Next time im out on the surf I will be on the lookout for these cues.

Thanks for the helpful posts.

Great info......!  Any similar write ups about fishing from rocky shorelines?

Go to Google and search for these EXACT terms ( Copy & Paste ) . . . Normally, I would have posted direct links, but SOL doesn't allow that .

(1) "how to read the sea" "fishing" "part 1"

(2) "how to read the sea" "fishing" "part 2"

• 2 weeks later...