Reading the water...

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@ paspar

Tough one! I'll chime in even though I have zero experience in LI.

From the image courtesy of Google maps, I'll fish both sides of the jetty depending on current directions. There's growth in the right side of the jetties that i think good for top water. Find the edges of that growth and cast in that areas. On the left jetty there's breaking waves small and a long one, cast in between. Hope others with enough knowledge will chime. Tight lines!1811446

New to the board, was redirected to the thread from another location and for me it was like landing in Oz.

Having read through much of it, I would only add that I've saved many a surf fishing trip by fishing the one spot what many anglers appear to overlook, the step or drop off right in front of them as the beach transitions to the first trough.  The action of the waves hitting and breaking on the beach has created a small step and sometimes it can be the only spot holding fish, especially when the surf is up.  The waves grinding at that spot are disorienting bait fish, churning up small crabs, and digging out those little sand fleas and mole crabs, and it's a buffet for aggressive feeders.

I hate to think of the times where I've been casting bait way over the heads of willing fish, only to later discover that they were within a surf rod distance from where I was standing, especially in low light or murky water.  In fact if I stood where the waves were breaking, extended my surf rod in front of me, and just let the bait drop straight down, I would be 'casting' too far.  I've caught a bunch of puppy drum, speckled and grey trout, flounder, and whiting by walking the beach and dragging a bait or a lure along that step off.

The only other thing I would note is that while you have to cast out at times, and having a rig that can cast a cinder block to the Bahamas can sometimes come in handy, you can often do better by scaling down to fresh water weight tackle, feeling the pickup, and  fishing close.  I've caught more fish in the surf on a medium weight, 7'  bass rod with a spinning reel and 10 lb test than I have on a 12 foot surf rig.  Yeah, I want that 40 lb striper, but most of the time I just need to face reality, catch some fish and bring home some supper.

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:

Originally Posted by jahtez View Post

New to the board, was redirected to the thread from another location and for me it was like landing in Oz.

Having read through much of it, I would only add that I've saved many a surf fishing trip by fishing the one spot what many anglers appear to overlook, the step or drop off right in front of them as the beach transitions to the first trough.  The action of the waves hitting and breaking on the beach has created a small step and sometimes it can be the only spot holding fish, especially when the surf is up.  The waves grinding at that spot are disorienting bait fish, churning up small crabs, and digging out those little sand fleas and mole crabs, and it's a buffet for aggressive feeders.

I hate to think of the times where I've been casting bait way over the heads of willing fish, only to later discover that they were within a surf rod distance from where I was standing, especially in low light or murky water.  In fact if I stood where the waves were breaking, extended my surf rod in front of me, and just let the bait drop straight down, I would be 'casting' too far.  I've caught a bunch of puppy drum, speckled and grey trout, flounder, and whiting by walking the beach and dragging a bait or a lure along that step off.

The only other thing I would note is that while you have to cast out at times, and having a rig that can cast a cinder block to the Bahamas can sometimes come in handy, you can often do better by scaling down to fresh water weight tackle, feeling the pickup, and  fishing close.  I've caught more fish in the surf on a medium weight, 7'  bass rod with a spinning reel and 10 lb test than I have on a 12 foot surf rig.  Yeah, I want that 40 lb striper, but most of the time I just need to face reality, catch some fish and bring home some supper.

good tips   i freshwater fish  but  helpful there 

reading freshwater i always try but different clues

okie