Conventional/baitcasting reel for saltwater

Rate this topic

psychoz1111

Hi guys,

This will be my first time buying a non-spinning reel for the salt, so I dont really know much about the topic. I am looking an a conventional/baitcasting reel for saltwater that I can put on a 7 ft conventional MH rod to:

jig for big bass/blues, fish eels for bass, bottom fish for blackfish, porgies, and seabass.

Ideally, I would like the reel to be able to cast far, so I can also put it into an 11ft conventional stick to chunk for bass&blues off the beach.

What reels out there will be capable of this? Looking to spend no more than $300. I will likely put 40-50lb on the reel for these applications.

I have experience fishing with baitcasters in freshwater, so casting should be no problem. Thanks!

A very hard reel to beat for the money is the Daiwa SL-X20SHA you can get them new for about 120 bucks. There bullet proof, great drags, fast retrieve. casting brake blocks. nice alum spools. cast very well and easy to control. Its not to big for the boat fishing you mention and great on an 11 foot plugging stick.

Penn sqiuder if they still make it. Mine is going on 30 yrs of fishing . Other than drags replacement, No problems. I have used it for junking, casting, plugging. Now i only use it on a 7' conv rod, with 20# test for casting live Eels or Eel skins at the IRI De.:D

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

Penn sqiuder if they still make it. Mine is going on 30 yrs of fishing . Other than drags replacement, No problems. I have used it for junking, casting, plugging. Now i only use it on a 7' conv rod, with 20# test for casting live Eels or Eel skins at the IRI De.:D

For chunking yes, but for plugging no, the Squidder would be the last reel I would use for plugging the surf.

The squidder is a workhorse of a reel, but it oldschool. the gear ratio is sloooow. If you can cast a Squidder, you can cast anything! I learned on a Squidder and it helped so much! But it is possible to plug with it. How do you think the old timers like a ledgend Frank Daignault did for years. There are easier ones to use. An Abu Garcia is so much easier to cast than a squidder

StripersBR, I learned on one to. I know it wasn't the best for plugging, But like you said if you knew what you were doing with the reel , It worked. For Eels it works fine, I cought a lot of stripers with it. But Now i use reels with a faster retreave. Hey, remember the birds nest on them when you was a kid.LOL;)

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

Holy crap it was a nice one. We are spoiled today with these new reels. if you read a few of Frank Daignault's books, that what he mostly used all night! i couldnt imagine casting n reeling that all night but the old timers did it. I like that reel alot and use it every so often. but the Abus that are out now barely need to be thumbed compared to that reel. That sound the squidder made when you casted it was a sound of all its own!!