Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phoenixbass

Striperly Love

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Happens all the time you just don't see it. ;)

You need to pay attention more. Many times fish will not only follow a hooked fish but will just follow behind a plug so many of you.

For me "cast with action" is the most misunderstood part of catching fish. If you pay attention on surface plugs any slight depression, plug movement, under water flash or water displacement usually mean you got a fish behind your plug. Same can be said when you night guys tell me you getting "small hits or bumps". Many think they are from bait fish but in fact these are fish making passes at your plugs or jigs.

If you can spot these and quickly make your plug react you can trigger the kill switch on these fish.

Also if it happens a couple times switch out you plug to something else.

The whole thing is PAY ATTENTION! to your plug.

Winch, good points.  Top water plugs provide the opportunity to see the strike develop.  Several places allow the sight advantage of elevation and witnessing the reaction is key. Subsurface plugs like creek chubs often accompanied the white flash before striking, Chuggers like the Little neck often get slammed on the pause so wait and be patient, poppers get followed several times before the explosion, and walk the dog type plugs will be followed with a wake before the plug gets pounded on the slide just before the redirect.  Paying attention is definitely key to being hit and hooked-up or not.  When plugging in the surf, it is more difficult to identify these signs but watch the base of waves for fish silhouettes, tail exposure in wave wash, or odd patterns in the foam and keep the plug in the strike zone as long as possible if possible.

Working lures in the bay also get many followers. Doing a figure eight if possible before actually pulling the lure out of the water may get you a few more fish.  If casting a stick type lure like a rebel, rapala, lucky craft, or DP minnow, you can slow down the retrieve and as the lure rises since it floats,  twitch it a few times before removing lure from water.  Like Winch says, " Pay attention !"  To reiterate Winch's advice, if you know the bass are present but not hitting your lure, change it up.  Good luck, have fun, and go get 'em.

I was watching the WFN channel the other day and there were 2 guys fishing. The 1st guy used a top water plug with no hooks he said it was an attraction bait. While he was using that bait the other guy was casting behind his bait and was catching fish. I guess we just need to fish in pairs so 1 can attract the fish and 1 can catch the fish. Don't forget to change out so the other guys can catch the fish also. LOL.

You see this in the Fresh water and AR a lot cause the water is really low and clear the last couple years. Stripers follow the hooked striper right up to the boat or shore.

I was watching the WFN channel the other day and there were 2 guys fishing. The 1st guy used a top water plug with no hooks he said it was an attraction bait. While he was using that bait the other guy was casting behind his bait and was catching fish. I guess we just need to fish in pairs so 1 can attract the fish and 1 can catch the fish. Don't forget to change out so the other guys can catch the fish also. LOL.

OMG! Don't tell the tournament bass anglers about this!

If you enjoy suffering, if your into that kind of thing, then, self-inflicted torture is what" it" is. Doubt it? It's a fact made a fact by the vast majority who are not suffering, just blissfully casting away, certain that it won't be too long before the fish arrive or there aren't any fish around or the tide is just not right yet, or the bump was a figment of a dreamer's imagination or at best, a dink just too small to take the offering.

In some worlds, what "it" indicates is: If stripers haven't made you mad, mostly the really crazy kind, then your not paying attention. And what's wrong with that? Look around at all the smiling, happy faces blissfully 'knowing' and confidently preaching insight about stripers, willing to share and impart their happyness so you too can share in it,,,so you don't have to suffer alone,,,so they have company.

Or, you can pay attention and ultimately come to a time and place that demonstrates too clearly that paying attention sucks. Who, in their right mind, wants to have the realization, at some point and sometimes often, that what's happening on the edges of what can be seen if your paying attention, is frequently only a fraction of what's happening out of sight? Paying attention to a mirror held up to you, and the reflection ain't so glamerous when in the reflection, a striper smiles back, winks, and it can't be denied that once again you've been bent over by a fish, made to be its fun toy, and you can never go back.

Keep your head to the sky, wait for the clouds to part and hold firm to the wisdom of smiling happy people. "It" indicates that your open to learning. Lucky there's enough wisdom to go around: That striper experience indicates some deep wisdom: Follow, stay a safe distance back, don't lead and most importantly, let the other guy be the risk taker. Better him than you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76 Terra View Post

OMG! Don't tell the tournament bass anglers about this!

That's how my partner and I used to fish. We always started the morning with him throwing reaction bait and I would fineness fish. It worked all the time.