Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neilg

spheros 5000 sw

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

hi people as in title anyone using above reel ,what are youre thoughts good/bad, linelay etc etc,took a bit of a punt and got one on route from japan

thanks neil

Neil, Great Reel……. I have it, Love It!!!!! Have it for 4 seasons now, Quality reel and can take a beating. Good drag and Very durable reel….

I think your talking about the last generation

Spheros. The SW model was introduced just

this year.

I've been eyeing this reel for my soon to be delivered mojo 10'6. I'm interested in hearing more about what you think Bogey and how you would compare it to other reels you may have..there's not to many owner opinions out there yet on this reel.

I got the 6000 for my 10'6 and its a perfect balance imo. I would imagine the 5000 would be fine. I wouldnt hesitate to put my 6000 on 9' though. It weighs in at 19oz asper the spec sheet.

Fished mine 3 days straight w multiple dunks and repeated splashes and its working great. Only schoolies so far but hope to get some bigger fish to put the reel to the test. I expect it to pass with flying colors.

Neilg,

I have replaced ssv 4500 and 5500 with the shimanos, I used the ssvs last year on the same rods, as I've had a lousey year so far so it's hard to compare, but I would say at this point there is no signifant edge either way. Both are good reels.

well fellas just got back from holiday where i was using the 5000 sw couldnt fault it good line lay,casts well decent reel and its got a loud clicker bogey(that is the drag sound i asume ?),i had it paired up on a st croix 9ft travel surf good balance but unfortunately the tip section came off during a power cast and the insert disintegrated on a pile of volcanic rock

:cry: that was the rod i bought it for bit pissed to say the least.tried it on a 7 footer not ideal but useable

After fighting a few fish with no drag clicker I took off the spool to investigate. Under the spool there is a pointed arm with a spring on top attached by a screw. I removed the screw to access the spring. I then spread the spring to cause more tension an presto....I have a drag clicker now! Hope this helps someone searching for a fix.