Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fagin

Shimanos slotted line rollers...badly engineered?

37 posts in this topic

Exactly Pleco!,

And if the anchor is not seated properly then the physics of the ball roller are off.

I have seen this happen frequently when cleaning and lubricating the ball rollers on Stradics, Sustains, and Stellas because they all have similar bails, anchors and ball roller assemblies. Usually the are fine from the factory, but the anchor does not automatically settle into place properly and re-seat itself when you loosen or disassemble the bail roller and re-tighten the set screw. You usually have to hold the anchor in place when you tighten the screw. The anchor needs be be seated all the way inside the bail arm receiver/roller housing and flush.

I guess is also possible the the bail arm got torqued and deformed the receiver, but I don't see any obvious signs of mechanical damage. I think it is more likely the the anchor was not seated properly when the assembly was tightened, or the set screw is cross threaded and did not go all the way in and tighten the anchor flush into the receiver. The set screw could also be loose and that would be a real easy fix.

A while back Shimano was putting something like Loctite on the screw which made it really hard to get out and clean and lubricate the roller assembly. I have two older Sustains that were like that.

Lucky, the line roller assembly in Shimano reels has smaller gap with lot of nook and cranny to trap water. All these extra features ( line bump, smaller gap, indentation in the roller ) that help you manage line better during the warmer month will be easier to freeze up in the winter months.  Once ice started to form in any of these area, water will pile on faster and faster, like a snowball affect.  There are remedies like pam spray, chapstick, etc. Or use other reels with simpler roller assembly.  

Or use other reels with simpler roller assembly.  

I have an older Stella I use in the winter. The line freeze drives me nuts. Its enough to have to clear the guides every so often. :)

Ok this thread didnt become what i intended it to be, but its always fun do discuss and thanks for all answers :-)

My stella is brand new, and yes maybe the angle is bad on the photo but this is how they all look, ive seen many here irl. The purpose of the thread was not to discuss MY reel, but similar type rollers in general.

Again, i dont want to say that i have a problem with the reel, i just think its strange that they have choosen a design where the line has a chance to lay on the flat surface, if only for a short while. This is a billion dollar reel, and they have created a one-piece-bail to solve a non existing problem, so it seemed they went for perfectionism. But they made a roller with flat surfaces that catches the wire more often than a traditional bail. And it seems its not only stella fi.

they choose flat surfaces, so i wonder if anyone know if there is a BENEFIT to this design? They know how to make sloped surfaces since they have other reels with such design, but int their premium model they made flat surfaces.

I thought stella was the reel where they used all the best solutions throughout the entire reel, so why did they not choose sloped surfaces?

Im from sweden by the way, so i dont live close to "jerz" ;-)

PS. I have a macbook nowdays. does anyone know how to draw red arrows and other things on my photos? When i had pc i only pasted the picture in "paint" and then i could draw anything :).  

Fagin, You still might to check and see if the set screw is tight. I did some more research and it is common for most reel manufacturers including Shimano to only semi tighten the exterior screws during assembly because they are afraid of stripping them or damaging the cosmetics of the reel. It is always a good idea to check all the exterior screws on a new reel especially the bail arm, bail roller, anti reverse, and body plate screws to make sure they are tight and seated properly. Not a defect, but and assembly policy intended to prevent damage. Any exterior damage and the reel is considered a factory second.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I have an older Stella I use in the winter. The line freeze drives me nuts. Its enough to have to clear the guides every so often. smile.gif

I have licked a guide or two during ice fishing. Before switching to all fly reel setup.

Fagin, I suspect the grove in the roller is to gain more traction on the line, sort of iron out more line twist before the line enter the spool.  Even modern daiwa reels have grove, just differnt in design.  If the roller is flat, line will be likely to slide around, little or no twist reduction. I have been using shimano spinning reels for quite a while, no problem with their line roller except for the condition that lucky has described.  I do always close bail by hand thou.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Blair View Post

Fagin, You still might to check and see if the set screw is tight. I did some more research and it is common for most reel manufacturers including Shimano to only semi tighten the exterior screws during assembly because they are afraid of stripping them or damaging the cosmetics of the reel. It is always a good idea to check all the exterior screws on a new reel especially the bail arm, bail roller, anti reverse, and body plate screws to make sure they are tight and seated properly. Not a defect, but and assembly policy intended to prevent damage. Any exterior damage and the reel is considered a factory second.

Ok, i will look into it :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobobob View Post

I have licked a guide or two during ice fishing. Before switching to all fly reel setup.

Fagin, I suspect the grove in the roller is to gain more traction on the line, sort of iron out more line twist before the line enter the spool.  Even modern daiwa reels have grove, just differnt in design.  If the roller is flat, line will be likely to slide around, little or no twist reduction. I have been using shimano spinning reels for quite a while, no problem with their line roller except for the condition that lucky has described.  I do always close bail by hand thou.

Hi :-)

The question is not about the groove, but the area surrounding the groove.  in most reels, that area is leaning so that the line ALWAYS find its way to the groove. In some shimano reels, including the new stella, that area is flat, wich causes the line to MOSTLY find its way to the groove but not always.

Why did they not choose the design that makes the line ALWAYS slide into the groove? 

Couple of observations.

1. The roller is not flat. It's slanted, how ever small angle, it's there. The roller is very slick, line are easily rolled into the center groove once you start reeling.

2. When properly assembled, the line roller ring is recessed into the bail arm.  Unless the line is slack and very thin, it's not probable to get in the gap and get trapped. Try it.

3. See the line bump on the bail arm? It bump the line and guide it into the front of the roller. 

Start closing the bail arm by hand and pull the line into the roller before reeling, it just one smooth motion once you get used to it. It will eliminate, at least minimized quite a few problem you will encounter with spinning reels.

I've had this problem on the saragosa sw...I found that it didn't like fireline original 14lb test. Switched to a real braid and it worked better. Its probably the flat lines slide out of the roller

Couple of observations

Start closing the bail arm by hand and pull the line into the roller before reeling, it just one smooth motion once you get used to it. It will eliminate, at least minimized quite a few problem you will encounter with spinning reels.

This is some of the best advice on this entire forum. I have actually gotten tired of pointing this out to people. And also keep in mind when using braid that reels are engineered to handle a specific range of line diameters. Some reels will handle just about any braid and others can be very finicky. Sometimes just for example going up from 20 braid to 30 will end wind knots , line lay issues ect. In SOme reels. To the OP , if I shelled out Stella type money I would settle for nothing less than STELLAR performance.