dennysnook

Stella 6000 SWB Feedback

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

So is the Stella 6000 SWB PG holding up to commercial fishing? How many time have you had it service?

It has held up quite well, although I have been using my Saltiga 4KH alot more lately just to try something else. I probably service it every 6 months or so and had to send it in twice otherwise for issues. Broke the idle gear (I think) and spool wouldn't go up and down this fall, and had bail closure issues last year. Bail is a little lose now and line lay self adjusted to a cone taper, so it's about due for a service. The finish has pitted and bubbled in a few spots with heavy salt use and neglect on my behalf. I wash it but don't wipe it or spend time babying it like I once did, making sure to oil the joints, break it down and bag it nightly. Compared to anything else, including the torque 5 and VS150, it has held up the best for me. For as much as I have beat on and abused that reel and done stupid stuff like powercrank jacks and skip ladyfish across the top of the water, lock the drag and fish 40" snook between pilings and fenders, chase big tarpon, and put 1000s of pounds of fish on a finesse reel, it has truly amazed me that it hasn't had many many more issues.

It has held up quite well, although I have been using my Saltiga 4KH alot more lately just to try something else. I probably service it every 6 months or so and had to send it in twice otherwise for issues. Broke the idle gear (I think) and spool wouldn't go up and down this fall, and had bail closure issues last year. Bail is a little lose now and line lay self adjusted to a cone taper, so it's about due for a service. The finish has pitted and bubbled in a few spots with heavy salt use and neglect on my behalf. I wash it but don't wipe it or spend time babying it like I once did, making sure to oil the joints, break it down and bag it nightly. Compared to anything else, including the torque 5 and VS150, it has held up the best for me. For as much as I have beat on and abused that reel and done stupid stuff like powercrank jacks and skip ladyfish across the top of the water, lock the drag and fish 40" snook between pilings and fenders, chase big tarpon, and put 1000s of pounds of fish on a finesse reel, it has truly amazed me that it hasn't had many many more issues.

I'm curious if the worm gear bearing cover under the cosmetic wrash guard may be bent.   I changed up mine..I removed the seal...and added another plate.  No ill effects but just wanted to try it.

When you get a chance remove that bottom cosmetic piece....and see if the seal is in place.....sometimes i've seen it "squish out of place"  that would create a possible gap moving the worm further down.

that would also possibly cause the idler to bind and become damaged

Edited by scoobydoo

Finally splurged and bought a Stella 6000SW (the HG version) this past fall, but only had minimal use with it for a total of one schoolie, plus one albie that I brought to the rocks (but lost in the rocks)....but the limited performance gets an 'A' so far...LOL

Edited by albacized