dennysnook

Stella 6000 SWB Feedback

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Stella will fulfill your needs that you have stated above. If the price is too much, maybe check out the Twin Power. A JDM reel that has a lot of the last Stella's features at a little better price tag.

Ill set the record straight here, denny gets the reel for whole price.

For the price im hooking him up which is wholesale, I didnt expect to see this b.s. of a post.

I heard they will service a Catalina here in the us. It is identical to the isla so there is nothing to do different. There may or may not be a service fee associated with that as being a JDM reel, you would just have to call the service department to find out. They are easy to get a hold of if you call. You can get a Catalina shipped from digitaka for cheap. Like 450 for a 4000 to like 615 for a 6500. Took like 4 days to ship from Japan to east coast.

Ill set the record straight here, denny gets the reel for whole price.

For the price im hooking him up which is wholesale, I didnt expect to see this b.s. of a post.

But his original post was simply asking about gear durability, drag, and warranty. Nothing about price.

Was looking for some fisherman feedback on the reel, now that it has been out for some time. I put alot of trust in Alan Hawk, and that review has kept me away. For what I do the gear durability, drag, and warranty are the main things I need in a reel. Any issues with them so far, particularly the 6000pg?

But his original post was simply asking about gear durability, drag, and warranty. Nothing about price.

did you read the whole thread?

post # 8-13-14 to name a few, it talks about price, cheaper this, cheaper that, 20% off this.

you need a reading comprehension.

i know denny personally, he is in my shop 7x a week, one of his main concern is price, durability this durability that, it's all about the price.

i know, we talk about that everyday. catalina for $450, stella for wholesale. gears? you are fcking talking about super spinners here not $200 POS saragosa's.

that's a fcking no brainer. yes, catalina is cheaper, did you ask around how much daiwa charges to replace a bearing on a saltiga? $150, YES $150. catalina and saltiga are internally the same, what if something else breaks, how much is tht gonna cost?

going with the stella for wholesale route is getting peace of mind for that extra $250, platinum service 2day turn around time.

Rayan, a friend of ours got a wobbly stella swb, shimano sent him a brand new reel! <<< that's what you are paying extra for.

for the amount of fish that he catches, he needs that peace of mind.

since march of this year, he caught probably more than 10,000 pounds of fish, and that's just the fish that he was able to sell. that's excluding tarpoon and other shet.

2 months of using the saragosa and the gears gave in.

what if tha thappens to a catalina with no warranty?

what if it happens to a stella with warranty?

Don't mind Hellray, he is just mad because I beat him at pool last night. I do need it, but it is still a big chunk of change regardless. When you go comparing this and that you would think the Catalina fits the bill, until you factor in probability of me breaking it. If I had alot of money it wouldnt be an issue and I would just get what I want. In my case I fish too much and break to much crap, so I need the warranty. I was most likely going to get the 08 sw instead of the swb, until he offered the wholesale. Now I have atleast 5 yrs of parts and peace of mind whereas the sw was questionable. I may be willing to take a chance on a Catalina used for different application where it would not be used to death like the 6000 size is. I personally like the Saltiga feel much better then the SWB, but would be taking my chances. Everytime I have done that, I end up with a broken reel, high service costs, and a wait time of a month for service.

All I wanted was a little peace of mind that I wasn't getting into a warrantied pos. I have seen little feedback on the swb and wanted reassurance. I got that, so thank you.

I'd jump on whole sale if I were you

Was put on order right after this thread was started. And yes, Hellray beat my ass in pool. Im sure I will be happy with the reel, and thanks to my good friend for hooking me up.

Yea wholesale Stella is the way to go.

I can only imagine the at bearing is 150, and that is pretty much the best one made. One thing with daiwa is they do sell their parts night than shimano, but that is generally because the parts are different materials, manufacturing, and the higher cost is just something given. Prime example is the gears. Shimano uses an aluminum drive and brass pinion. Nothing wrong with the setup and the replacement aluminum drive is cheap. Daiwa has their digi brass drive and stainless pinion or brass pinion in the Catalina. Nothing wrong with those either, they are just more expensive to produce and gave a lower probability of failure.

If I was buying a reel for commercial fishing I would buy a Penn 706Z. Nothing in the world made before or since is going to hold up as long for the money.

Commercial fishing will destroy a Stella right quick. You may be able to get away with gaming Shimano and their "Platinum Service" for awhile, but eventually it will come down to how many hours of use you get for your dollar before it inevitably needs work (even paying just wholesale). It will need work, they all do. It is the price you pay for "smoothness" and the fishing experience they can provide. They are incredible when new. The drive train is NOT built to last for years. It is built to be butter smooth out of the box. It's a simple brass pinion.

Penn 706Z wins the durability *for the money award* hands down over any other spinning reel built in the world. A relic of durability first manufacturing gone everywhere else. It will not give you the high performance fishing experience of a Stella/Saltiga/Torque/VS/ZB.

I would also work conventionals into your rotation where and however you can as soon as you are able. Again, for the dollar spent they will hold up better.

If I wanted a tough super spinner Torque, VS and Saltiga would all rate higher than Stella for continuous use. If I was betting the farm on landing one big fish I would not hesitate to use a Stella. It is the day in and day out of fishing continually that they are not built for. Way too complicated for that role.

Lastly, if you are a commercial fisherman fishing for yourself and then selling your catch then I presume you work on your own reels to maximize time fishing when the bite is on. Penn 704/706Z and Torque win that derby hands down over anything else made in the world. FAR easier to service and keep going and replace parts on your own as needed.

If I was buying a reel for commercial fishing I would buy a Penn 706Z. Nothing in the world made before or since is going to hold up as long for the money.

Commercial fishing will destroy a Stella right quick. You may be able to get away with gaming Shimano and their "Platinum Service" for awhile, but eventually it will come down to how many hours of use you get for your dollar before it inevitably needs work (even paying just wholesale). It will need work, they all do. It is the price you pay for "smoothness" and the fishing experience they can provide. They are incredible when new. The drive train is NOT built to last for years. It is built to be butter smooth out of the box. It's a simple brass pinion.

Penn 706Z wins the durability *for the money award* hands down over any other spinning reel built in the world. A relic of durability first manufacturing gone everywhere else. It will not give you the high performance fishing experience of a Stella/Saltiga/Torque/VS/ZB.

I would also work conventionals into your rotation where and however you can as soon as you are able. Again, for the dollar spent they will hold up better.

If I wanted a tough super spinner Torque, VS and Saltiga would all rate higher than Stella for continuous use. If I was betting the farm on landing one big fish I would not hesitate to use a Stella. It is the day in and day out of fishing continually that they are not built for. Way too complicated for that role.

Lastly, if you are a commercial fisherman fishing for yourself and then selling your catch then I presume you work on your own reels to maximize time fishing when the bite is on. Penn 704/706Z and Torque win that derby hands down over anything else made in the world. FAR easier to service and keep going and replace parts on your own as needed.

Thanks for the advice. Very good advice at that. I will be looking into the torque as a workhorse down the road. I really dislike the 704 feel, especially when throwing and retrieving lures all day, but if it comes to live bait by boat it might be the best option. Hard to break the recreational mentality of wanting the best for finesse, when now I need workhorses. Thanks again