dennysnook

Stella 6000 SWB Feedback

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Was looking for some fisherman feedback on the reel, now that it has been out for some time. I put alot of trust in Alan Hawk, and that review has kept me away. For what I do the gear durability, drag, and warranty are the main things I need in a reel. Any issues with them so far, particularly the 6000pg?

I'm a big AH fan as well but i don't understand why its not included in his top reels. He says it's very reliable and watertight and has a great drag, and only complain about weight and small finish and tolerance problems that wouldn't bother me. I think AH is overreacting by keeping it out of the top reels and I would still buy 5000 SWB for the surf if I can afford it.

I've been using an SW 5000 BXG with a 6000 spool off the boat & beaches of Africa matched with a 9ft 6in lure rod for Bara, dorado & small YFT since early 2013. Not had any issues, drag nice & smooth, just slightly tighter than the old SW due to the waterproofing. An absolute gem of a reel. Just keep the VS handy for the really wet stuff.

New stella is amazing simply put. I only own the 14000, but my buddy has a 4000 (Japan order only), a 6000, a 8000, and a 14000. Amazing drag. Fit and finish is perfect. Solid as a rock. Reviews are just what they are.... One person's thought on something. Try it for yourself and if you don't like it, you can always sell it... To me :)

I think Alan says right in his own write ups (especially one that he knows will be perceived as negative) that when it comes to the very high end stuff, he's especially critical and admits most of these reels will handle anything most shorebound/east coast anglers will throw at it...he absolutely punishes his reels during his reviews. And I believe he added this 'aside' during his Stella 2013 write up as well...so take that for what it's worth

While I don't think he's so much setting out to break the reels he's critiqing on purpose, I do think he pushes them while trying to find the breaking point...this is another point he has made from time to time

My main concern is reel durability first and foremost. I am now a commercial fisherman fishing minimum 5 days a week. My reels get punished and I have broken soo much intermediate gear since I started in March, that I am going all in. I don't have a big arsenal of backups left, so the two day turnaround is the next biggest factor. I just don't know what else to do. Since I started I have blew out my vs150 antiverse and drag, broke two old stradic 6000s beyond repair, one 6000 sustain, locked up a 2000 stradic, and recently blew out the pinion and main gear of my 6000 gosa sw. I just want something durable for punishment with peace of mind, and regardless of AH issues, it seems the swb fits the bill.

Denny , have you thought about Daiwa catalina , which is cheaper Saltiga ? And perhaps half the prices of the new SWB Stella ?

I used the SW 4000xg for over one season. It can really take a beating of sand and salt and still be as smooth as ever. Only complaint is that the bail design for the size 4000 is real poor. Wish I had gotten a size 5000 if I had noticed the rigidness design of the bail for the 4000xg earlier. Other than that, it's on a different level from a the reels I've used in the past. I know you're asking about the size 6000 but in term of gear and everything else inside the reel, I wanted to give a reference that they are very well made.

Denny , have you thought about Daiwa catalina , which is cheaper Saltiga ? And perhaps half the prices of the new SWB Stella ?

I almost bought one a few weeks ago, but cheaped out and went with a caldia for light duty rod Im having made. That looks like a solid little reel by the way with crappy hard plastic knob. If catalina had the warranty and were for the US market for service, I would be all over it. Im going to get either a Catalina or Saltiga next for my bigger stuff. 6000 stella will be my go to 90% of time so need the warranty.

If you want the US version of the Catalina, check out the Isla. Should come with US warranty and service.[/quote

If the Isla came with the same price tag as a Catalina would be my first option. When you factor in resale of stella and what Im getting it for, I couldn't pass it up and pulled the trigger.

I agree with you on the price compared to the JDM Catalina, kind of puzzles me as to why the Isla is more than the Catalina. I prefer JDM version most of the time to the US counter parts when it comes to Daiwa and Shimano. Either way I own several of the Stella SWB’s and older 08 Stella SW’s, a Catalina and a few Saltiga H's, IMHO some of the best reels money can buy.

If you didn't buy yet, go to Overton's right now - you have up until midnight tonight to get 20% off any purchase over $300...with no Shimano exclusions (and they have the Stella SW)