Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pennfisherman

van staal or Penn torque for surf fishing

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

I am having trouble deciding what to get. Any opinions based on only performance and maintenance. Please give me some feedback and what size reel would work best for an 11 and 9 foot pole ty for your help and input

I have the Torque 5 and its a great reel.  The smallest size Torque, which is the 5, but not all that small either, should balance well with both rods.  I don't have a VS, but from reading that one thread on here, you can't go wrong with either reel and both will get the job done.  You will probably get a mixed review and recommendation for either reel so I think your best bet is to find a B&T which carries both reels, give'em a spin and pick which one you like more. 

Ideal size VS for 9' would be 150 , 200/250 for the 11"

The PENN TRQ5 is about in the middle say size eq. to a VS175 ( if there was one that size) - so that would be a better fit IMO to cross between the 9'&11' surf rods for plugging..

I have both and both are ideal for surf plugging dry or wet with little or no maintenance required other then a quick freshwater spary after each use..

SteveG

Ty for all ur feed back guys. How about smoothness of both?

Torque is vastly more smooth and less effort. It also has a faster retrieve which makes it a better overall reel for more surf fishing styles.

VS is a great reel, but if I wanted a reel to do more than slowly fish bucktails and Danny's I would go Torque.

the VS is so cool tho... cool matters at a certain price imo. i spent 100 bucks making the wires on my computer match a theme color as well as look nice.... it matters lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr33n View Post

the VS is so cool tho... cool matters at a certain price imo. i spent 100 bucks making the wires on my computer match a theme color as well as look nice.... it matters lol.

You use a reel to fish not to have a cool reel. i Do think know what you're talking about. Its the cup on the VS that makes it look cool instead of the bail arm i prefer the cup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PENN King View Post

You use a reel to fish not to have a cool reel. i Do think know what you're talking about. Its the cup on the VS that makes it look cool instead of the bail arm i prefer the cup.

yes yes but being cool is just as important. also i believe the torque is further away from the rod yes? doesnt that make snagging the line with your finger a tad harder. to each his own at the end of the day because lets be honest, people catch BIG fish on crappy setups all the time (crappy compared to 500+ for the reel alone)