Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Nice sea run brown from Maine

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I recently received the following very nice picture of a sea run brown trout icon14.gif

This 23" sea run brown was caught by Leon Aronson Aug 24, 2003 at the Moussam River in Kennebunk.

moussam_river_searun_brown.jpg

I've caught a lotta nice brown trout over the years but never intentionally a sea run brown. Is there any respectable sea run trout fishing left in the NE or are they all sort of just random encounters? It's something I've always wanted to target smile.gif

TimS

There's a ton of them stocked in the Manasquan River every year by NJ Fish and Wildlife. I've never caught one there or anywhere else though. I wonder how many never make it out of the inlet due to bluefish?

The fishery in the Manasquan is decent for NJ atleast.... You need to put time in there but you could probably get a fish every 4 or 5 trips. For all practical purposes they are wild fish at this point. A 3 or 4lb fish has been to sea a few times already and has become quite wary to achieve that size. I wonder where they go when the leave in the spring? I assume up north but who knows. The bluefish really shouldn't have too much of an impact. They leave the river before the first blues arrive in the spring. By the time fall comes and they return I would think they have a decent chance to get back safely.

Beautiful fish right there icon14.gif

Anyone have any info on those tiger trout they stock here. they are some hybrid...a cross between a brook trout and a brown trout. why do they cross them? (better growth rates, aggresiveness, size, a hardier fish) confused.gif

There are about a dozen streams (that I know of) in Massachusetts and southern Maine that have populations of sea run brown trout and a few streams that still hold sea run Brook trout (salters). You'd be hardpressed to get anyone to talk about them (except the more well-know rivers like the Mousam, Oqunquit, Scortons, ect.) ssince the populations are pretty low and there aren't really any active stocking programs anymore.

The biggest one I ever caught was a surf-caught brown that took a clouser while i was fishing for stripers off Moody beach in southern Maine. It weighted in at 9 pounds.

The biggest one I ever caught was a surf-caught brown that took a clouser while i was fishing for stripers off Moody beach in southern Maine. It weighted in at 9 pounds.

Now that would about make my entire season icon14.gif

TimS

I have caught sea run brown trout in the fall in the Coonamesset river in Falmouth I caught them on live killies. one I pulled up was regergitating sand eels...another notable was one that evidently had some trouble with bluefish or something but made it....the scares and missing fin parts were indicators. I never got even as much as a nibble in scorton creek. I fished right blow the bridge on the coonamesset. Nothing realy big but it was fun to see them.

I know about half a dozen streams on the Cape that hold sea run browns and brookies. My largest brown was about 4 lbs. but I have taken brookies to almost 3! There are not alot of these fish around and you put alot of hours in to get them, best times are from late fall to early spring. The biggest problem is there is so much bait its hard to get them to take anything.