Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gerry528

How do you feel?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I Wanna strike up a disscussion here....

How do you all feel about the striper fishing this season?

I cant speak for the last two seasons '03 and '04 'cause I didnt fish these due to rehabing from a near crippling accident. But I must say that this season is by far the absolute best Ive seen in my 14 years of serious surf fishing.

Does the huge amount of fish being killed disturb or worry anyone? Or am I just overreacting? But browsing the fishing forums/photo galleries and seeing large numbers of large procreating fish being harvested is somewhat disturbing.

example.... My brother is getting into serious surfcasting this season, being mostly a freshwater fisherman he lacks what it really takes to catch respectable stripers with the larger tackle etc. at this point in his surf career. I decided to take him out on a bluefish headboat 'cause he was getting a bit discouraged watching me take a lunker or two each night and coming up fishless himself, lord knows catching a buttload of chopper blues can get any grennies blood flowing. On this trip I and many of the other fares were catching many, many 20+ pound bass the pool fish that day was 34 pounds! I couldnt believe my eyes at what I was seeing, sunny day not a cloud in the sky diamond jigs and lots of 20+ bass coming up over the rail!

[ 06-10-2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Gerry528 ]

Of course my poor brother didnt come up with one! Me, Being a mate on a long Island bluefish party boat in the mid 90's this was never seen we did get the occasional bass but they were few and way far between. On this day I watched improper handling of short fish, The whole crew of the boat fishing with dollar signs in their eyes as inexperienced fares had to fend for themselves with no one to help them remove hooks from toothy bluefish or pull a birdsnest from their reels and fares taking more that their 2 fish limit and asking fares that were not sharp enough to catch their own linsides that they if a uniformed ECO asked them if they caught their 2 bass to say "yes", I was sick to my stomach!

Do you feel this season is a product of the moratorium and good management by state and federal services along the eastern seaboard?

Or can we be headed for a disaster? Ive already released dozens of 20 pound fish and my biggest yet this season a just over 30. They caught a 62 pound fish locally another fish that was killed.

Waddya all think??

Gerry

Do you feel this season is a product of the moratorium and good management by state and federal services along the eastern seaboard?

Or can we be headed for a disaster?

I'll let you know in August.... That's when the stock assessment will be done. But I wouldn't get too comfy with the 2 fish limit.

Every time someone complains about not being able to keep 28-34" fish whether it be rec anglers, party boat captains or John Geiser I'm lovin it because it means they're releasing fish that they'd otherwise be killing.

quote: Do you feel this season is a product of the moratorium and good management by state and federal services along the eastern seaboard?

Or can we be headed for a disaster?

I'll let you know in August.... That's when the stock assessment will be done. But I wouldn't get too comfy with the 2 fish limit.

I respectfully disagree, I think the 2 fish limit will be around for a while. I feel it is a wanton waste measure. If a recreational angler catches his 28" fish in the first hour he is out he will continue to catch and release fish but you know that if he comes up with a 45" fish.... that already dead 28" fish is going overboard. The only difference between the 2 creel limits is wanton waste.

I'm not very sure there will be a lot of choice in the matter. But then who knows? I guess I should qualify with the "don't get so comfy with the current regs" it might go to one fish or it might be one at 28"(or there abouts) and one at a much larger size. It will depend on how much of a reduction is needed...if any is needed at all wink.gif

I think most here would rather keep the little one for the table, and release the larger one (with maybe a photo) to spawn. In the end you are right though. The issue of "high grading" (or throwing a dead smaller but legal fish to keep a larger fish) is problematic. But it does show up in the MRFSS and is therefore somewhat accounted for.

In Maine, current regs allow 1 fish per day, either 20-26 inches or over 40. I wish other states had similar restrictions--like all those states that see the migration first. Most "big" fish I catch here run about 34 inches.

example.... My brother is getting into serious surfcasting this season, being mostly a freshwater fisherman he lacks what it really takes to catch respectable stripers with the larger tackle etc. at this point in his surf career. I decided to take him out on a bluefish headboat 'cause he was getting a bit discouraged watching me take a lunker or two each night and coming up fishless himself, lord knows catching a buttload of chopper blues can get any grennies blood flowing. On this trip I and many of the other fares were catching many, many 20+ pound bass the pool fish that day was 34 pounds! I couldnt believe my eyes at what I was seeing, sunny day not a cloud in the sky diamond jigs and lots of 20+ bass coming up over the rail!

Was this on Tuesday 5/31? If so you caught the best day of the year. But you can't judge a season on one day of insane fishing. That day was exceptional...the rest of the season has been pretty crappy in my opinion.

Was this on Tuesday 5/31? If so you caught the best day of the year. But you can't judge a season on one day of insane fishing. That day was exceptional...the rest of the season has been pretty crappy in my opinion.

Im not judging it on one day of insane fishing, I am basing it on my season as a whole. The crew on that boat told me (and I take What they say at face value) Most of the week prior was like that and that the pool fish the day before was near 40lbs. Most of the local reports said the same thing and I had been reading them for a week. Im not sure of the date Ill have to look on my digital camera for the date of the pictures, were you there or work on the boat?

Just browse this site http://www.noreast.com/homepage/index.cfm?Region_ID=33 click on interactive on the top tool bar then on photo gallery just look at the bass being taken.

Im sorry your season has been dissapointing!

Gerry