Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperking212

Surf fishing in Montauk

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

hey guy whats up i been to montauk in the pass but only on the boats.. i will be going up to montauk with my gf this friday the 18 to do some surf fishing in the morning and boat in afternoon and i wanted to know what a good spot to surf fish??? and what should i use Clams,bunker, bucktail if so with a teaser and what weight?? Please give me some good feedback i want to land a cow in montauk and my girl never got a striper yet

IMO= In My Opinion...... Stay home. Bait fish only if those around you are. don't climb up on a rock as they are owned by others who have fished there before..better yet just stick to the boat.. they cant throw rocks at you on a boat.

IMO= In My Opinion...... Stay home. Bait fish only if those around you are. don't climb up on a rock as they are owned by others who have fished there before..better yet just stick to the boat.. they cant throw rocks at you on a boat.

Yea okay stay home lmaoo why would u say stay home?? Or ur just one of those people on here?? And who are u to tell me to just stick to boat fishing I'm surf fishing than boat fishing..

Paulies and i think the one on the main drag is johnies tackle. I would fish from hither hills or the beaches in town with bait. The point is pretty much plugs and bucks. I think the top poster was being sarcastic. bait fishing is definately frowned upon up front under the light as well as the north and southsides. The beaches do produce so dont worry. Put your time you have to good use and less headaches. Walk the light or other areas with bucktails and swimmers. Poppers early or late day.

Enjoy it and have fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatonem View Post

Paulies and i think the one on the main drag is johnies tackle. I would fish from hither hills or the beaches in town with bait. The point is pretty much plugs and bucks. I think the top poster was being sarcastic. bait fishing is definately frowned upon up front under the light as well as the north and southsides. The beaches do produce so dont worry. Put your time you have to good use and less headaches. Walk the light or other areas with bucktails and swimmers. Poppers early or late day.

Enjoy it and have fun!

thanks alot i appreciate ur time letting me know.. with bucktails what weight? and u use a tease with it ? im going to start fishing around 5 am i have about 5 poppers any poppers u suggest like color wise?... are sp minnows good up there too?

You bring what you can carry.  Bucks depend on the current, you need what to use to get down in the water column.  I do make extensive use of teasers anywhere else, so I can see what else is in the water (fluke, hickory shad, etc.)  But here leave the teasers in the truck.  Given the chance of getting a heavy bass, I wouldn't want any extra crap on my rig to break or foul.  Unless you're swimming, much of the point is not shallow and is covered in bubble weed, so keep that in mind.

I'd use bucks with strips, a darter, needles, and maybe a swimmer or popper.  If I see bait I wasn't expecting I might walk back and reconfigure whats in the bag.  Otherwise I don't care what others are using.  Don't worry about reports or bait shop talk, just go and fish it.  (small caveat, if I hear "albies" then I'll turn and get the rocket stick and bag o' tins.  Otherwise, all I want to hear is where is the best steak and which hotel has the soccer moms)

If you have the chance, hire a guide.   Otherwise, just go and do.  If it sucks at the point, bring a sweet water stick and try the lake in the village.  Lots of places, lots of possiblities.  That's why I love that place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by valleygoog View Post

You bring what you can carry.  Bucks depend on the current, you need what to use to get down in the water column.  I do make extensive use of teasers anywhere else, so I can see what else is in the water (fluke, hickory shad, etc.)  But here leave the teasers in the truck.  Given the chance of getting a heavy bass, I wouldn't want any extra crap on my rig to break or foul.  Unless you're swimming, much of the point is not shallow and is covered in bubble weed, so keep that in mind.

I'd use bucks with strips, a darter, needles, and maybe a swimmer or popper.  If I see bait I wasn't expecting I might walk back and reconfigure whats in the bag.  Otherwise I don't care what others are using.  Don't worry about reports or bait shop talk, just go and fish it.  (small caveat, if I hear "albies" then I'll turn and get the rocket stick and bag o' tins.  Otherwise, all I want to hear is where is the best steak and which hotel has the soccer moms)

If you have the chance, hire a guide.   Otherwise, just go and do.  If it sucks at the point, bring a sweet water stick and try the lake in the village.  Lots of places, lots of possiblities.  That's why I love that place.

awesome that great info to know i will see what the guide cost.. but i will go and buy some more poppers and swimmer as well as bucktails all different weight.. im excited to get out there havent been there a year..

Theres some nice rocks on the South Side....swim out to one in the middle of the night on an incoming tide during a new moon and throw darters all night....there you go !

You guys are so bad. If you don't know Montauk be careful. Especially on the south side. If you don't know what you are doing you can get hurt out there. I would suggest Korker's if you don't have them. Paulie's is the best tackle shop out there great people. Johnnie's those people won't even give you the time and day. Went there once and never go there again. Good luck.

Sure do Miss Montauk.:(

Sleep in with the GF and go to out for a late breakfast. Johnny's pancake house. Do a half day for fluke and sea bass on the lazybones, and make it a memorable MTK visit.

HitherHills for bait and easier for the GF to walk instead of rocks at the point. Strictly plugs at the point North & South side. Poppers, tins and bucktails for the day, darters bucktails and needles for night, good luck.