Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaptDave23

Another New Jones Brothers 23' Cape Fisherman

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

After selling my Eastern 31' that had served me well for many years as a charter boat here in Green Harbor, MA I was looking for something that would require a little bit less maintenance and could be used for a quick trip out and back. The Eastern served me well taking out thousands of customers over the years but required a fair amount of maintenance. She was powered with an economical John Deetre 6076 AFM 30 rated at 300 HP matched to a Twin Disc 1:77:1 gear and a 2" shaft. There was a bow thruster, fresh water, water heater, bait pumps, bilge pumps, lighting throughout, electronics, three D8 batteries, dripless shaft seals and many other systems. We replaced the fuel tanks in her along with decks and hatches using Coosa Board. Needless to say it seemed like the work never ended but...I still enjoyed it.

Now moving on, I decided on a center console and after lots of research, consideration of funds available and reputation I decided to inquire about a Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 23' built. After a conversation with Donnie Jones I flew down to Morehead Cit, NC with my brother in law and met with Donnie spending four hours in his shop picking out options etc. I left feeling like I was dealing with an honest man who was going to take care of me.

I decided on a Cape Fisherman 23' in Fighting Lady Yellow and matched to a Yamaha F200XCA fly b wire controls. The boat will have the upgraded leaning post with the 20 gallon livewell, seating forward of the console and a T Top. I added features like the removable back rest with four rod holders, washdown pump, pop up cleats, covers for the console and leaning post, swim ladder, Lenco trim tabs and a trailer. One of the things that I was impressed with was the total composite construction of the boat.

A boat is not complete without rod holders and the four Atwood rod holders were not going to work out for me. I contacted Lou from LD Marine Products in MA who sent down ten 9" swivel rod holders for the boat. 

BOE Marine is a sponsor of this site and I always liked the way Jim responds to questions from members on this board. I ordered my electronics from BOE and Brian Koch down there was just plain awesome. We decided on the following electronics:

Garmin 1040XS Multi Function Display (2)

Garmin GVC 10 Black Box SOnar

Garmin GMR 18 XHD Radar

Icom M504 VHF Radio

Icom Command Mic

Garmin AIS Transceiver

Garmin GXM 52 Sirius XM Marine Receiver

Fusion MS-IP700i Marine Stereo

A Pair of Wet Sounds Sw-65 65" speakers for the tunes 

Two Shakespeare Antennas

Brian from BOE was instrumental in helping me pick out this package and has been in contact with me right along about the installation schedule.

After going through the process and signing my papers last night, registering both the boat and trailer today I know I am close. The boat should be delivered to me at BOE Marine in MD where I will fly down, accept the boat and discuss the location of the electronics. 

I can hardly wait to pick the boat up at BOE in the near future and get back on the water in Boston catching striped bass and winter flounder or out on Stellwagen or east of Chatham chasing school tuna. I can not say enough about Donnie Jones and Brian of BOE who have both been remarkable during this build process.

I will post pictures of the boat once it is finally completed and sitting in the slip in Boston. I have heard excellent numbers in regards to MPG with these boats and believe she will have some good offshore range. I just wish I committed earlier so I was not having a late July splash. 

Respectfully,

Capt Dave

AKA Relentless

Boston

Being a proud owner of a JB23............with all the money you probably pumped into that build, I would have considered a Contender for near / offshore....new / lightly used.......good luck with her though.....we love ours.

You and me both. And by definition a boat set up for the fly angler will be close to ideal for any angling that involves casting and probably jigging too.