Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Winch

Lost an old friend today (My Knife)

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Sometimes you get attached to some obscure trinket. Nothing special just something that is with you for decades and is always there to fill a need in your arsenal. For me it was a small folding Buck pocket knife.

To think how many times I had pulled that little knife out of it's beaten leather case that seemed to never leave my side. Yes I have actually slept with it on. :shock: It was there to cut line, rope, anything I had stuck a plugs hook in and had no patience to actually work the hook out. Cut a piece of fruit, dig out a sliver a tool for all the ages.

That little knife was well traveled.

Every trip I have ever taken to the east coast to fish it was there. Rhode. The Cape, The Canal, Montauk, Martha's Vineyard, even to Chutty it went. I taught my sons how to whittle with it and the lessons learned on how to use a knife properly.

All gone.

The knife and I found each other at a garage sale. Under a pile of stuff I saw the case 30 years ago and picked it up. The guy must have known we were meant to be together. I asked the price and when He said $4.00 bucks I had to tell him it was not enough. Yet he refused to take more for it. He knew what I didn't.

Today as I was fishing in a low tide I stuck a hook of a plug into the stupid holey material that seem to be a fly fisherman's friend but a bane to use multi treble hook guys. I whipped the knife out from under my waders and sliced the material free and I thought the knife went back in it's sheath.

Four hours later I reach for the knife and its gone. Not in it's sheath!

Some how I must have missed the sheath and dropped the knife in the sand. Which was then covered by the rising tide waters.

Oh well. Time to find another old buck knife that needs to be treated as a tool. But to say I didn't miss the old thing would be a lie.

Any of you ever have something that you have had with you for so many years that when you finally break it or as I did lose it that it feels you have lost a real friend?

Winch, I know exactly what you mean & how you feel. I have got so attached to some of my favorite old plugs, knives, duck hunting stuff & tools that I retired them to a safe location for fear of loosing them.

My condolences, I lost a knife my grandfather gave me in the bay last year, with all the bay mud being so deep I never found it, still hurts to this day.

I have a leatherman wave that I can not be without. I thought I lost it a week ago and was all sorts of depressed. That leatherman has been with me for the past 11 years it's like a part of me now. I did end up finding it this weekend. Seems I left it in an old plug bag that I barely use. Hell my wife even bought me a new one three years ago but that one stays in a drawer till I break or lose this one.

My condolences. I bought a Buck 112 in 1988 with one of my first "real" paychecks. It has been well traveled and well used. They make a quality product.

While the Leatherman has sort of taken over the Buck's place on my belt, it still has a place in my heart.

Which Buck was it Chris? I'm sure the East Coast guys will happily join me in buying you a new one.

....I hope you saved the sheath, ;)

I still have a fork that my Grandmother gave me.  Its nothing special to anyone else, but even my children know, everytime I eat with that fork I remember my grandmother.

Stewie I never knew the model. It found me at the garage sale. I never asked its ethnicity, or about it's past life. It was just a connection. Kinda like Match dot com but for knives. :wee:

From looking on the internet it probably is one of the 500 series. My guess is a 503.

May have to try the trade section of the BST forum. Winch plug for a Buck! Wait that won't work. LOL Better put Buck knife. LOL

Oh and yes even though I knew that it probably had sunk into the sand through two high tides I had to look. What was crazy after combing the area twice. I decided to make ten cast.

On the first cast this happened.

I tried to remove the plug but the Swiss Army knife I had put in my pocket just wasn't the same knife. Patient died on the table. Mom was happy. ;)

I feel your pain man. I had a Buck knife I kept on me at all times and I lost it in a sandy crawl space I was working in. I tried to check the whole area when I realized it was lost, but no luck...

Stewie I never knew the model. It found me at the garage sale. I never asked its ethnicity, or about it's past life. It was just a connection. Kinda like Match dot com but for knives. :wee:

From looking on the internet it probably is one of the 500 series. My guess is a 503.

May have to try the trade section of the BST forum. Winch plug for a Buck! Wait that won't work. LOL Better put Buck knife. LOL

Oh and yes even though I knew that it probably had sunk into the sand through two high tides I had to look. What was crazy after combing the area twice. I decided to make ten cast.

On the first cast this happened.

I tried to remove the plug but the Swiss Army knife I had put in my pocket just wasn't the same knife. Patient died on the table. Mom was happy. ;)

There was a vintage Buck folding hunter (110) in the BST a couple days ago. Tad pricey at $45 but maybe its fate.

Winch I know exactly how you feel.This past Nov I too lost a 500 series Buck knife because I thought I had put it back in my pocket.Still irks me.Some people never get it how you can get attached to something.Sorry for your loss.