PNG

Ships...

Rate this topic

366 posts in this topic

This is a balsa wood freighter kit that my father built, ca. 1965.  It is about 4' long and all handmade by him.  He purchased the NOS kit at a garage sale for $3 where he lived in FL at the time. It has survived several moves around the country, with only some minor mishaps.  The attention to detail is just amazing and it will hopefully be handed down to our kids and eventually grandkids. I have no idea how long it took him to make it, but probably 100's of hours. My mother was also active in the building process, sewing the canvas hatch and lifeboat covers and "staining" them with tea.  At one point I considered having a Plexiglas enclosure built for it but decided that would take away from the overall beauty. All of the blocks are actually strung with black rigging lines and everything is hand painted, except for the hull which has dark blue auto body paint on it.  The superstructure lifts off in one piece, however I have not looked inside for any buried treasure.  And, to top it all off, he was suffering with severe rheumatoid arthritis all over, including his hands.  I just hope that he is reading this now from up above and realizes how much it means to me.

This week, while I am nursing a bad hip, I had a chance to spend some time with a soft bristle brush cleaning out the accumulated dust and to survey what needs to be done to repair a couple of things. Hope you enjoy the pix.

P3020030.JPG.a0951744886f7ad8423d34bc2eefe787.JPG

P3020031.JPG.a9d83d0565f89830cefc270fcce545e5.JPG

P3020032.JPG.ebc71ac19c7ba3e5c07a1352c729da9a.JPG

P3020033.JPG.831e45ca404e9571965d0bf00da03698.JPG

BTW, the American flag is a 48 star flag.

...thanks Rob. It sure is.  Notice the three wires running from mast-to-mast. That is the ship's radio/telegraph antenna.  Also, absent is any ship radar radome. The union jack and another flag have to be re-installed along with one of the lifeboats. But otherwise she is in good shape.

I sure would like to find a source of similar models so that I could carry-on the family tradition.

Thanks JIM.

Edited by fm/nj

On 3/2/2018 at 8:16 PM, fm/nj said:

This is a balsa wood freighter kit that my father built, ca. 1965.  It is about 4' long and all handmade by him.  He purchased the NOS kit at a garage sale for $3 where he lived in FL at the time. It has survived several moves around the country, with only some minor mishaps.  The attention to detail is just amazing and it will hopefully be handed down to our kids and eventually grandkids. I have no idea how long it took him to make it, but probably 100's of hours. My mother was also active in the building process, sewing the canvas hatch and lifeboat covers and "staining" them with tea.  At one point I considered having a Plexiglas enclosure built for it but decided that would take away from the overall beauty. All of the blocks are actually strung with black rigging lines and everything is hand painted, except for the hull which has dark blue auto body paint on it.  The superstructure lifts off in one piece, however I have not looked inside for any buried treasure.  And, to top it all off, he was suffering with severe rheumatoid arthritis all over, including his hands.  I just hope that he is reading this now from up above and realizes how much it means to me.

This week, while I am nursing a bad hip, I had a chance to spend some time with a soft bristle brush cleaning out the accumulated dust and to survey what needs to be done to repair a couple of things. Hope you enjoy the pix.

P3020030.JPG.a0951744886f7ad8423d34bc2eefe787.JPG

P3020031.JPG.a9d83d0565f89830cefc270fcce545e5.JPG

P3020032.JPG.ebc71ac19c7ba3e5c07a1352c729da9a.JPG

P3020033.JPG.831e45ca404e9571965d0bf00da03698.JPG

BTW, the American flag is a 48 star flag.

Your father did an excellent job on the American Scout.   That kit was made by a company called Sterling, they had some great kits.   I built that kit when I was about 14, mine was ok but not as nice as your father's.  I also built the USS Missouri, Yacht Amerca, and a 65' Chris Craft Motoryacht, all Sterling kits.   My mother threw them all out when I went into the USAF.  I was heart broken, it was my dream to rehab them and make them much better than when I built them as a teenager.  

We've been waiting for this ship to return for some time now. The Mayflower passing through the Cape Cod Canal on her way back to Plymouth Harbor..

Mayflower Above 081020.jpg

That model is fantastic. I think I still have a couple sterling airplane un-built NIB gotta be 40yrs old.

At any rate nice job Toe, I was on the other side

Mayflower2.jpg

Mayflower2-2.jpg

10 hours ago, bass-o-matic said:

Anybody missing a sailboat?

DSC00671.JPG

I always have a sense of sadness when I see a wrecked boat . Can't really articulate why however I just do. Nice pic all the same .