Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dennysnook

Flounder & Fluke Blanks

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Looking into having a few rods built for the fall/winter season. Was interested to see what blanks are popular with the fluke crowd. Havent decided on spinning or conventional yet, just looking at blanks and keeping options open. 7-8Ft, 1.5-3oz weights used w/ sliding sinker rig, 30lb braid, and need a sensitive yet soft tip.

Deepwater, like Raritan Bay or the ocean, or shallow water, like the back bays behind Wildwood? Party boat, or private boat?

This stuff makes a big difference -- you can use very, very light stuff for back-bay fluking, but in deeper water, ya gotta use gear that's a bit heavier, as you'll typically need more lead to get to the bottom. Post more information and you'll get some good advice here.

I fish in a heavy current jetty application in relatively shallow water, 15 ft or less, using up to a 3oz sinker to hold bottom. It is a simple bait and wait senario. A soft tip is preferred to absorb some the pressure so not to rip lips and also for bite detection. I try and multipurpose my rods as much as possible so it will become a general live bait rod in the offseason for light offshore/snapper duty.

I fish in a heavy current jetty application in relatively shallow water, 15 ft or less, using up to a 3oz sinker to hold bottom. It is a simple bait and wait senario. A soft tip is preferred to absorb some the pressure so not to rip lips and also for bite detection. I try and multipurpose my rods as much as possible so it will become a general live bait rod in the offseason for light offshore/snapper duty.

Seeker CLB or Rainshadow RCLB. Both are live bait blanks, and both (I think) come as in lengths of 7, 7.5, and 8 feet. This blank will give you the best of all worlds: the butt is very, very stout graphite, the tip is very soft (and forgiving) fiberglass, and it will work superbly as a boat live bait rod. These blanks are hard to beat.

DEnny, I've sold several Rodgeeks S Glass blanks for this exact fishing you are looking to do. I have a couple in stock here, and a few more on the way, planning on ordering more tomorrow for DOn O who posts here on SOL. The blanks are very light but do not have that traditinal glass much bend into the foregrip action, they are a fast glass rod. THe blanks I've been getting are 7'9 so there is a lot of leeway to cut teh tip to get what you are looking for. Give me a shout if you are interested.

I agree with Billy 40. The s- glass rodgeeks r sweet blanks and have a lot of room at the tip to adjust to your type of fishing...I just finished building the medium s-glass with 4" cut off the tip and really like it for jigging fluke on Long Island sound....like it so much reordered some more from Billy 40

Thanks for the replies. I do already have a rclb79ml that I was going to use for something else that may end up getting turned into a flounder rod. Bit on the heavy side for small flounder but could work. I have been looking at the Rodgeeks stuff online for a lil while now, but don't personally know anyone who has one or read much feedback yet. They look like a nice blank that fits my need for short money. That may be the way I end up going, so I will definetly keep you in mind Billy. I want to relook at some phenix stuff next time I get around Mudhole so I will try a look at those too Richie and UC if I can find one. If anyone has any comparison of the Rodgeeks and others blanks to the rclb action it would be appreciated.

My conventional stuff seems to sit around alot until flounder season so Im debating whether to go baitrunner. I do like the action of rclb I have very much. Im basically looking for a blank that has a similar tip and action but does shut off and get to the power relatively quickly for working fish around structure either way I go. Finding a blank that has some flexibility to see other usage yet works very well for flounder is the point Im at now. Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I do already have a rclb79ml that I was going to use for something else that may end up getting turned into a flounder rod.]

I think that will be a little too heavy IMO. The XL is perfect and you can't beat the price. You may be close to site sponsor GetBitOutdoors to check it out.

I hope to try a rodgeeks blank from Billy eventually too.

Thanks for the replies. I do already have a rclb79ml that I was going to use for something else that may end up getting turned into a flounder rod. Bit on the heavy side for small flounder but could work. I have been looking at the Rodgeeks stuff online for a lil while now, but don't personally know anyone who has one or read much feedback yet. They look like a nice blank that fits my need for short money. That may be the way I end up going, so I will definetly keep you in mind Billy. I want to relook at some phenix stuff next time I get around Mudhole so I will try a look at those too Richie and UC if I can find one. If anyone has any comparison of the Rodgeeks and others blanks to the rclb action it would be appreciated.

My conventional stuff seems to sit around alot until flounder season so Im debating whether to go baitrunner. I do like the action of rclb I have very much. Im basically looking for a blank that has a similar tip and action but does shut off and get to the power relatively quickly for working fish around structure either way I go. Finding a blank that has some flexibility to see other usage yet works very well for flounder is the point Im at now. Thanks

I fish a Phenix UMBX 10-20 will jig up to 5oz & I had fish to 8lbs no problem...I aslo fish 70-90' of water....Had a 9.65 on the 8-17 no problem

The Phnix Black Diamond 8-25 is the perfect all around fluke rod Will handle about an oz more..& will take big fish & still fun on the smaller ones...

as far as action both have fast hard tips & deep bend...as far as power they will not let you down..

UC I can put you in touch with blanks..I like the UC 704 duel helix graphite..UC makes the most sensitive rods I ever fished..also has a hard tip for jigging fluke & a deep bend..

St Croix Musky blanks also work great...

If phenix or uc works best for my application, then thats what I will use. I have nothing against anyone or brand here and appreciate the feedback. Please don't turn this into another pissin match.

Richie, I recently started commercial fishing and I am trying to plan my builds to be as multifuctional as possible. I currently have the most interest in the Rodgeeks due to the price and the hope that it is similar to the RCLB action and power. What advantages do you feel that phenix has over rclb? Do you build that blank for other applications? I will be having multiples built so have to justify double the blank cost

for the backbay i use a amtak bushido ls7 10/20 works great with 15lb braid and up to 5 oz bucktails. i finished it in the spring, used it about 5 times so far. the last 2 trips i got about 21 fluke each time but only one keeper on it so far so its still early to say how it will do with a big fish. jamaica bay has not been good this year. ocean wise calstar gf700xl or lamiglas glb96-1m with a few inches cut off the tip. really like both of them.

On 7/8/2014 at 7:33 PM, secjurny said:

I agree with Billy 40. The s- glass rodgeeks r sweet blanks and have a lot of room at the tip to adjust to your type of fishing...I just finished building the medium s-glass with 4" cut off the tip and really like it for jigging fluke on Long Island sound....like it so much reordered some more from Billy 40

Few years late but I am looking to build this exact rod. Would you mind sharing what weight range yours handles? What model blank if you remember?