Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
first2wins

Jig Molds

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any luck with Collins Customs recently? I ordered from them years ago but have not gotten a reply via phone or email lately.

Any other options for molds?

Do It

Hilts

Herters, TDM molds and Precision are some good ones.

HERTER"S?!?!?.... That's a blast from the past. As a 14 year old growing up poor back in the late 1950s I used to read the Herter's catalog with the same reverence that a priest uses when reading the Bible.

Has anyone had any luck with Collins Customs recently? I ordered from them years ago but have not gotten a reply via phone or email lately.

Any other options for molds?

Do It

Hilts

If you are in the Collins budget level there is a seller on ebay who does CNC molds. He has many different jig head styles

Search for Member ID cnc-works.

If you are in the Collins budget level there is a seller on ebay who does CNC molds. He has many different jig head styles

Search for Member ID cnc-works.

That is Collins.

HERTER"S?!?!?.... That's a blast from the past. As a 14 year old growing up poor back in the late 1950s I used to read the Herter's catalog with the same reverence that a priest uses when reading the Bible.

You weren't the only one. That catalog was huge. There was anything you could want in there. I still have a fly rod from them I built as a kit in the barracks when I was in the Air Force in the mid 60's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJS View Post

Thanks HJS.  That made me smile.  My Grandfather has about 25 of Herter's molds.  He read his catalogs like they were the Bible too.  Always dreaming and always working hard to make his dreams a reality.

Ouch, I see what you mean when you said "Collins budget level".

You get your money's worth from Shawn Collins. He makes good molds for the price. I have several myself and they were a bargain. If you had them made at a local machine shop they would cost a lot more.

You weren't the only one. That catalog was huge. There was anything you could want in there. I still have a fly rod from them I built as a kit in the barracks when I was in the Air Force in the mid 60's.

Dan (and JayJohns) - Same here. I bought a fly tying kit from Herters while in the army serving in a forward camp in Vietnam, 1970-1971, 11th Armored Calvary. It took 6 weeks for the kit to reach me. The shipping box reeked of cordite and looked like it been through at least one firefight and maybe a mortar attack before it was finally and mercifully delivered to my bunker:D. To this date I still use the tying vise that came with the kit for tying bucktail to big jigheads. A few years later I bought 3 rod making kits, 6' ultra lite flyrod and a couple spinning rods. I bought a whole bunch of other stuff too to include a pouch of "Old Grizzly Bear" pipe tobacco. I wish I would have kept one of their old catalogs to see how far fishing/hunting gear has come since then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJS View Post

Dan (and JayJohns) - Same here. I bought a fly tying kit from Herters while in the army serving in a forward camp in Vietnam, 1970-1971, 11th Armored Calvary. It took 6 weeks for the kit to reach me. The shipping box reeked of cordite and looked like it been through at least one firefight and maybe a mortar attack before it was finally and mercifully delivered to my bunker:D. To this date I still use the tying vise that came with the kit for tying bucktail to big jigheads. A few years later I bought 3 rod making kits, 6' ultra lite flyrod and a couple spinning rods. I bought a whole bunch of other stuff too to include a pouch of "Old Grizzly Bear" pipe tobacco. I wish I would have kept one of their old catalogs to see how far fishing/hunting gear has come since then.

I am currently going through my grandfather's estate, and if I find any I will surely PM you for mailing information.  He loved to read.  If there are any other catalogs and/or older magazines you want me to keep an eye out for, just let me know.