Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Breezy Kid

New reel?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

5500 size reels would include the Shimano Stradic/Sustain/Stella 6000s, and some of the Team Daiwa and Emblem surf models--I think the 4500 size. I'm not up on most Daiwa models.

The Daiwa Tournament SS 2600 is a bit smaller than the 5500, but I think it's a heck of a reel for $100.

The current Neptune is roughly the size of a 7500 Penn. The two models they promise to come out with later this year will probably bracket the 5500 on both sides, being similar to the 4500 and 6500 Penns in size.

If you want to make a lateral move instead of stepping up to a smoother type of reel, there's always the Daiwa BG series, too.

The Tica reel that is mentioned, the Taurus, I've had one in my hand and all I can say is sweeeet. Now these reel have not been field tested yet to check the endurance of the reels but the craftmanship is first class. If they perform as well as they seem to feel and look, I'm selling all my Sustains.biggrin.gifwink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

With the switch to thin diameter braids by most people, my question would be; do you really need the same size reel? I'm mostly a boat fisherman and used the Shimano Baitrunner 3500's for years, spooled with 30/6 spiderwire. I've made the switch the the Shimano Stradic 4000FG and those pour 3500's never even got used last year.

Tight lines.