Nbourque

Recent reports.

Rate this topic

775 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, MartyK said:

Same here.   I actually caught one  today about 20 inches, which is by far my "catch of the week".   The mackerel I chunk up for bait is often bigger than the fish I catch with it.    

It’s crazy. I’m concentrating my efforts late evening into the night now. Hopefully it’ll pay off

Is anyone finding pogie schools around NH? I looked where I found them out front reliably for most of July and August last year but didn't find any. 

Fishing's been outstanding lately, mostly super early AM  in the kayak but have been catching fish 22-26" on all tides for the last few weeks.. not off the beach but around a lot of structure near a boat landing.

Great luck with topwater in the early AM low light, but constant luck with a white paddle tail on a jig head.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am semi shore bound but I can tell you in southern Maine, there are 100% less pogies than last year.  Having said that, I didn't see a lot of bass caught around the bait balls last year, but did see minkes crashing them often.

Edited by srm413
added text

1 hour ago, srm413 said:

I am semi shore bound but I can tell you in southern Maine, there are 100% less pogies than last year.  Having said that, I didn't see a lot of bass caught around the bait balls last year, but did see minkes crashing them often.

This is/was my experience as well. It’s been a good year for 23-26” fish on light tackle, but I’m willing to take a break from those and risk a skunking if I can find some large on pogie schools. There were a ton of them earlier in the season in the river but I never marked bass under them. 

in southern Maine, there seems to be quite a few very small bass, as well as drmevo's note about "23-26" fish.  I take this as a good sign for the fishery's future.

Primarily a shore fisher but boated in Saco bay yesterday. Macks hard to get, managed to snag a bunch of pogies . Chunking, I caught a few stripers in the mid 20's . To date my keeper bass were caught plugging in May &June fishing ledges & surf.  Starting July my catch has turned to micros.  Every cast catching but smallest of season. Last three outings 15+ each time.  Discouraged by lack of quality fish I gave it a rest for a few weeks. Ready to begin anew, plan is to fish some late nights. Convenient for bigger fish,  less convenient for an old time fisher, Uggh!

12 mins ago, FlyingFish78 said:

Speaking of late night 'bassing... Suds and Soda is still closed, is there anyone selling eels on the seacoast?

AFAIK you have to head down to Salsbury and hit one of the shops there. There's a small bait shop in Portsmouth that supposedly will be set up for them next year. 

fished for about an hour and a half tonight on the outgoing tide. Only managed 1 fish but it was a decent size compared to what I'm typically catching 

IMG_5007.jpg

4 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

Nice fish man, on SP? did you measure?

Yep, SP.  And no, I really have to grab a measuring tape to bring with me. I'm awful at judging length, maybe mid 20's?

11 hours ago, evan1 said:

Yep, SP.  And no, I really have to grab a measuring tape to bring with me. I'm awful at judging length, maybe mid 20's?

looks bigger, good for you...

On 7/31/2020 at 8:53 AM, evan1 said:

Nice fish...and I hear you on the 'awful at judging length' comment...I kept hearing people in the spring (down on the Cape and RI) catching fish to the mid 20's (inches) and I was wondering how come I was stuck in a rut with fish in the mid teens...So out of curiosity, I measured a particular fish that I estimated to be around 17-18" long,  and found that it actually measured at 22"...makes me wonder how many fish I caught that I estimated 'just short' of keeper size were actually 28, 29 or 30 inches long...but regardless, I still haven't got into a really decent fish so far this year...