Recent reports.

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Nbourque said:

Anyone chunking off the beach and having luck? Fished the last few hours of the outgoing this morning. One solid hit. That was it. 

I strictly fish from the beach (using a sand spike due to a bad back), and prefer using fresh-frozen macs when I can get them (like now) or clams.   In 3 hours I got 12 yesterday and in 2.5 hours 7 today.   The key, in my opinion, is good bait.    I drove down to Surfland last week and picked up 65 mackerel which I  immediately froze in good freezer bags and I'm now using.     

Marty

24 mins ago, MartyK said:

I strictly fish from the beach (using a sand spike due to a bad back), and prefer using fresh-frozen macs when I can get them (like now) or clams.   In 3 hours I got 12 yesterday and in 2.5 hours 7 today.   The key, in my opinion, is good bait.    I drove down to Surfland last week and picked up 65 mackerel which I  immediately froze in good freezer bags and I'm now using.     

That’s some good action! Any size?

1 hour ago, MartyK said:

MartyK, if you do not already, you should try brining before freezing.  Preserves the color, and more importantly, the texture/toughness of the skin.  

6 mins ago, HeyNine-ah said:

MartyK, if you do not already, you should try brining before freezing.  Preserves the color, and more importantly, the texture/toughness of the skin.  

Thank you.   I was unaware of that but will certainly throw in some salt the next time I'm lucky enough to get fresh mackerel.   BTW, what I have been doing is putting 2 or 3 fresh macs in a freezer gallon ziplock-type bag and freezing them.   The afternoon before I fish I take out a bag and defrost it  just enough to get a knife into them and chunk them.   They then go into a Tupperware container and stay in the fridge until I take them out to use the next AM.  By then they've marinaded  in their own blood and I don't have to worry about anything when I get to the beach other than putting them on the hook.   I actually have some out on the deck defrosting as I write.   Is it worth salting them after they've been chunked?   

Marty

1 hour ago, MartyK said:

Thank you.   I was unaware of that but will certainly throw in some salt the next time I'm lucky enough to get fresh mackerel.   BTW, what I have been doing is putting 2 or 3 fresh macs in a freezer gallon ziplock-type bag and freezing them.   The afternoon before I fish I take out a bag and defrost it  just enough to get a knife into them and chunk them.   They then go into a Tupperware container and stay in the fridge until I take them out to use the next AM.  By then they've marinaded  in their own blood and I don't have to worry about anything when I get to the beach other than putting them on the hook.   I actually have some out on the deck defrosting as I write.   Is it worth salting them after they've been chunked?   

Couldn’t hurt. I brine all my clams. Huge difference 

1 hour ago, MartyK said:

In years way past I used to chunk out in front on the ledges.  It does not take long for a frozen chunk to defrost once in the water.  If you brine in ice water prior to packaging and freezing they stay nice and firm when defrosted.

I take a gallon of distilled water, kosher salt, and ice. I mix the three in a playmate cooler and pop the Mack’s in there. Then I freeze. Never put the salt to thawed bait but I bet it would work. If you don’t mind me asking, do you chunk by cutting in halves or smaller?

5 hours ago, HeyNine-ah said:

I take a gallon of distilled water, kosher salt, and ice. I mix the three in a playmate cooler and pop the Mack’s in there. Then I freeze. Never put the salt to thawed bait but I bet it would work. If you don’t mind me asking, do you chunk by cutting in halves or smaller?

Much smaller.   I get 6-7 chunks on an average size mac.  I'd imagine in the "old days" chunks would be larger if you were targeting large fish, but large fish are now few and far between, especially from the shore.   I look at mackerel chunks like steak tips.    If you're hungry and all that's available is one steak tip, are you going to turn it down?   

Marty

On 6/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, Nbourque said:

Anyone chunking off the beach and having luck? Fished the last few hours of the outgoing this morning. One solid hit. That was it. 

The same for me this morning, using mackerel, last three hours of the incoming.  First skunk this month.

26 mins ago, Shorefisher said:

The same for me this morning, using mackerel, last three hours of the incoming.  First skunk this month.

I really don’t understand it. Maybe the fish haven’t quite pushed onto the beaches yet? I’m fishing the OOB area. 

10 mins ago, 7 Rivers said:

The usual pattern is taking place, the beaches are the place to be.  I usually start out with lures, but have bait with me. last night, I fished a beach and went through 6 packs of clams. Biggest was 31 inches. I didn't do squat with macs.....

It’s so odd isn’t it? I find it’s usually one or the other. They either want just macs or just clams.