Nbourque

Recent reports.

Rate this topic

775 posts in this topic

Most of the time yes, but sometimes no. I did get my biggest fish of the year fishing at night under a full moon. But also I've got skunked under a full moon for reasons I don't know... I'll see how the full moon fishing is this year, I've got high hopes.

For me, bright, clear, and calm full moon nights tend to be slow, but full moon nights with clouds, some wind, and some surf can be great. I got my PB on a stormy full moon night in 2009.

Bass fishing always best during extreme tidal flow, i.e. the Full & New Moon periods.  Out on the boat in deep water, they're both good.  However fishing in shallow water, my Long Island experience has shown that a bright full moon is bad because the fish see their own shadows and spook.  On one cloudy full moon night we were into feeding fish all over, but the second the clouds broke, the fish were gone.  Got to the point that I wouldn't bother fishing the surf on a clear full moon night, but would eagerly do so during the new moon.

Of course, that's all Long Island info.  Up here on the Mid-coast, the fish tend to be less skittish.  Who ever heard of catching fish in the middle of a sunny day in 2-6 ft of water??  Just goes to show what low boat traffic, make that non-existent boat traffic, and low fishing pressure can do for bass fishing.

That red annoying seaweed has returned! Some spots are safe from it but others are loaded with it... 3rd day without any fish, starting to get a little worried.. Lol. Might change things up and take the boat out and see if that will make a difference. Overall fishing for me has really slowed down after a solid week of fishing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainer185 View Post

That red annoying seaweed has returned! Some spots are safe from it but others are loaded with it... 3rd day without any fish, starting to get a little worried.. Lol. Might change things up and take the boat out and see if that will make a difference. Overall fishing for me has really slowed down after a solid week of fishing.

yeah ive noticed a similar trend, crapton of that red seaweed in my area, got 3 fish yesterday up to 26inches on topwater, but bits been kinda slow

Full moon coming up, correct?

Yup on Friday I think, and an astronomically big one with 5-6 days of minus tides. More water exchange means more turbulence, more confused bait, and potentially bigger bass taking advantage. Try fishing 3 days on either side of it. especially on overcast nights if the water is shallow, that would be my advice.

-bd