Utilizing a kayak for flats fishing

Rate this topic

RoaringPlains

I don't have a lot of experience fishing the bay side flats but I was fishing there on kayak last week. I would thought that standing on a kayak sight fishing would be very tough. The current over there is strong. Combined with wind you would get blown all over the place as you aren't poling (or are you?). If you see a fish then line control would be tough if you getting blown/swept off. Also if you are fishing waist deep water or deeper the fly will need about 5 seconds to get down - by that time you could be dragging the fly up?

I used the kayak to get to the flats I wanted to fish and then wade. You won't get a lot of time on each flat due to the tide but at least you move into position easily and cast in any direction.

Oh, and hull slap is an issue to so you want to be away from your kayak to be most effective IMO.

I put together an easy anchor system that allows me to drop a 5 lbs kettle bell at either the bow or the stern. I lower the weight if the wind is pushing me or the tide is pulling me faster than I want. Works great. I'm looking to add a bassyak kit in the very near future. 

I've gone to a SUP for fishing the flats as well, I picked up a Yolo Yak fisherman model (Scotty rod holders). The rod's in a holder right at my feet and a lanyard is on the paddle so I just drop it and grab the rod. If the flat is shallow enough I just step off and tow the board behind me, but fishing from the board is a real pleasure, especially with a fly rod. Stability is awesome once you get used to the sensation of standing up on the water. I did add a small cooler that's strapped on the board behind me, good place to stash stuff and sit if I need to.

"If you think fly fishermen are strange, try having a conversation with a mushroom picker."

John Gierach

Hobie Pro Angler 14 for me.

I use a drogue attached to an anchor trolley to control my drift and orientation relative to that drift. If I'm standing to fish, I'll use my SUP paddle to give me propulsion while looking for fish (no outriggers required - it's very stable). Sitting to fish is easy though, since the seat can be raised and line stripped on to the deck between my feet.

On longer trips, I use a sail to increase my range, as long as the wind is not too strong (anything over 15 knots is too strong.)

I can take up to 6 rigged fly rods in the horizontal rod tubes, but it's rare for me to take more than 3 (a floating, an intermediate and a light rod for smaller fish).

It's not much fun if the water is less than about 14" deep though. The Mirage drive will still work, but "feathering" the pedals gets tiring after a few minutes. I use mine in "inshore" waters most often, occasionally taking it out into open ocean. That's mainly due to my local fishing conditions - no need for me to venture out wide very often.

Cheers,

Graeme

FFi Certified Casting Instructor

Hobie Pro Angler 14 for me.

I use a drogue attached to an anchor trolley to control my drift and orientation relative to that drift. If I'm standing to fish, I'll use my SUP paddle to give me propulsion while looking for fish (no outriggers required - it's very stable). Sitting to fish is easy though, since the seat can be raised and line stripped on to the deck between my feet.

On longer trips, I use a sail to increase my range, as long as the wind is not too strong (anything over 15 knots is too strong.)

I can take up to 6 rigged fly rods in the horizontal rod tubes, but it's rare for me to take more than 3 (a floating, an intermediate and a light rod for smaller fish).

It's not much fun if the water is less than about 14" deep though. The Mirage drive will still work, but "feathering" the pedals gets tiring after a few minutes. I use mine in "inshore" waters most often, occasionally taking it out into open ocean. That's mainly due to my local fishing conditions - no need for me to venture out wide very often.

Cheers,

Graeme

Sounds like you have a great setup for flyfishing. Pro Anglers have great stability for casting.

I have a Pro Angler too and I hope to use it this year for flats fishing. If you are in less that 14" you might consider poling. Then you could also use the scupper holes or an anchor trolley to stake the PA from drifting. As far as using a Mirage drive motor ............ please be careful .......... I have run into more than 1 sandbar while using the flippers because I couldn't see the sand bar or it came up very quickly. Imagine what would happen if you hit 1 at full speed. You could end up stranded with a broken motor and an cracked hull because the Mirage drive mount is a common place for cracks and no Mirage drive because You had to leave it at home because of the engine. I have an engine in the back so it will kick up if it gets too shallow.

Since I'm a fat ole guy ........ I've built stabilizers too. I need to test it all.