Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RoaringPlains

Utilizing a kayak for flats fishing

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I got a great used fishing kayak and have enjoyed using it (mostly trolling swimmers on a spin rod).  But I want to branch out.

Does anybody on here use their kayak for flats fishing?  If so, any tips?  Do you fish from your yak, or just park it on a bar and wade?

I've only fished the flats a couple times, and to be honest, the timing and the water filling in behind me kind of freaked me out.  I believe the kayak would be a good "getaway craft" when the water begins to rise, and would also allow me to extend my fishing time, without having to worry quite as much about making the walk back before the tide fills in.  I have an anchor system but haven't used it yet.

I'd like to do more flats fishing, but I've been leery of it for the safety reasons, as I usually fish solo (erratic work schedule, sometimes just have to grab a couple hrs when I can).  But the flats seem like a prime place to connect with big stripers on the fly, which I've yet to accomplish...

(This would be in Cape Cod Bay.)

Thanks.

It is thee best way to fish the flats you won't be land locked, waaaay stealthier than a motorized vessel and you will be able to cover lots of ground and get access to other flats where wading is not accessible. Not sure what kind of kayak you have but I've installed an outrigger that can be deployed whenever I want/need to stand for sight fishing.google standNfish they might have something for yak.for safety make sure you wear your pfd get a marine radio,whistle and flares good luck.

I have a Diablo Adios, which is a hybrid kayak and SUP. I love the thing and fly fish from it all throughout the back bays of NJ. Much, much easier fly fishing standing than sitting like in my old yak.

I fish a lot at nights as well. I am always fishing solo though for the same reasons you are. I always have my pfd on with my cell in a water proof case in the pocket along with a whistle just in case.

Fishing from the Adios definitely let's me get into water no other boat could and out into water that isn't accessible by foot.

I have a Jackson bigrig kayak. It comes with a stand assist bar that I attached a stripping basket to so my line doesn't wrap around every little thing (as you know it can) very stable platform. I have only been on the flats (here in NJ) once with it but it was awesome to stand and see the blue fish- at that time I couldn't get them on fly but did get them on super strike little neck popper on light spinning gear.

If I want to wade- I just anchor the kayak and jump out. (I keep an eye on the yak though!)

Ive employed a SUP when Im not using my skiff for sight fishing

Thinking of getting one myself...seems like the people who have these Sups and fish off of them favor the inflatables what's your take on that?

Well I have a non-inflatable sup. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to be too far from a drop in point. They are heavy to lunk around with your gear and I'm a fit young guy. I'll just have a longer paddle to spots vs the portability.

I haven't had any experience with inflatables although I considered them. My issue was I wanted a stable ridged fishing platform and in my mind the inflatable may have felt "spongey", I wanted to avoid this.

Interesting.  I'd never thought of using a system to stand up in my kayak (I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160).  Honestly I don't think I'm that coordinated.  I envision lots of falling.  

Im currently about halfway through with rigging my kayak to be a sight fishing machine.

Two outriggers, deployable via ball rod mounts, and a small raised platform in the middle. I have a Hobie, so im going to drop a trolling motor through the Mirage drive mount with controls at my waist for moving around as close to hands free as possible.

I'll post up some pictures when she's complete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albieaddict View Post

Im currently about halfway through with rigging my kayak to be a sight fishing machine.

Two outriggers, deployable via ball rod mounts, and a small raised platform in the middle. I have a Hobie, so im going to drop a trolling motor through the Mirage drive mount with controls at my waist for moving around as close to hands free as possible.

I'll post up some pictures when she's complete.

That sounds interesting and Id like to see that, but I feel like at that point its a lot of work and gear and odds and ends sticking out. Wouldn't a 13 whaler do the job simpler and better? It would even be some what comparable in costs really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisurfer49 View Post

The Bote SUPs look like the way to go to be honest. Guys even take them offshore

These are nice but I think hyped up, if I had the cash I would go the Dragonfly route or with the Cayo, that are fishing and only fishing specific.

That sounds interesting and Id like to see that, but I feel like at that point its a lot of work and gear and odds and ends sticking out. Wouldn't a 13 whaler do the job simpler and better? It would even be some what comparable in costs really.

I have a 15ft whaler, but the problem is fishing alone is really impossible. It's just too big and loud in the water. I certainly understand what you're saying, and avoiding the gear lugging hassle is a huge part of the design. The outriggers slip in and out quickly (and are fast to deploy) and im working out the battery box/trolling motor setup to be as painless as possible.

I've done the outrigger drift thing but it's just not as productive as a boat with a poling platform. The wind is always blowing the wrong way, the current is always pushing you a direction you don't want to be facing, etc. My hands down favorite way to sight fish is from a step ladder (and careful planning on where to "stake up") and this will be the best of both worlds, if everything goes according to plan.

AA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albieaddict View Post

I have a 15ft whaler, but the problem is fishing alone is really impossible. It's just too big and loud in the water. I certainly understand what you're saying, and avoiding the gear lugging hassle is a huge part of the design. The outriggers slip in and out quickly (and are fast to deploy) and im working out the battery box/trolling motor setup to be as painless as possible.

I've done the outrigger drift thing but it's just not as productive as a boat with a poling platform. The wind is always blowing the wrong way, the current is always pushing you a direction you don't want to be facing, etc. My hands down favorite way to sight fish is from a step ladder (and careful planning on where to "stake up") and this will be the best of both worlds, if everything goes according to plan.

AA

Sounds like you got a plan. please post your set up when youre done. I agree about the solo boat sight fishing, I end up casting off my poling platform, works but not not ideal for sure.