Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pauljohnson

Boston Harbor Report (Journal)

Rate this topic

131 posts in this topic

Spent about 6 hours out and about the islands yesterday (got out much later that I planned). Travels took me by the Brewsters, Graves, Deer Island, and a few other spots. Using cut mack I managed 2 Goose/Monk Fish and a Skate. Top water action was non-existent as was the presence of many other boaters. On such a beautiful day (waves <1'), I expected to see a large fleet.

Still in search of my first striper .... the trips and lessons learned will continue.

Paul, we've had a difficult time in the harbor so far this year.  However I have heard many success stories.  I finally saw big a big blitz yesterday 10-20 miles north of Boston inside a harbor.  Hopefully the same starts happening daily in Boston.  Love the topwater bite!

I fish on my friends boat out of Tern.  It's been slow for us too this year. The keepers that we did get were on live macs so I'd recommend using live bait or at least mixing it in with fresh chunks.  Macs have been off the out ledges pretty good lately.

went on a friends boat 6|15.  got bait moved to our spot and trolled got one bass about 10 lb.s then one about 15 lb.s then one about 37 lb.s and last fish of the day was 38lb.s 12 oz.s keep trying it will come .  tight  lines to all  capt. bill                                        ps can't what to get my boat back in the water. 

fished the incoming last night. some nice surface action, and a few sporadic mini-blitzes, off the rips and rock piles. mid 30's fish mixed in with schoolies. I think even a few blue fish might have been around as few plastics came back shorter than when they went out. even had a nice 20"+ flounder come up in the lobster trap. he slipped out of my hands before I could get him in the cooler, which had me wondering, is it legal to take them if not on rod and reel?

beautiful evening out there. the big full moon coming up over the islands was awesome.

Blues are def in the harbor. Went out on Thursday night and they cut me twice after solid runs. Managed to get a small keeper and a schoolie. That was all on macks.

2 out of 3 ain't bad for the day ... Lot's of sunshine and calm seas -- just no fish.

Spent time in the Brewsters, Graves, Moffit Ledge, and Deer Island. I was fishing chunk mackerel and clams.

The chatter on the radio had the same result.

I'll keep plugging away and will eventually get my 1st striper.

Despite the threat of bad weather, I headed out to the harbor today. Seas were calm and the sun broke about 11am.

I spent some time in some new spots - Hangmans Ledge, various spots on the outter and inner edges of Spectacle, and ended the day at Nut Island.

Headed in around 5p just as the wind started to pick up.

Another day on my elusive hunt .....

Paul, me and my buddy were probably the only other boat fishing the harbor today. We got some macks and got a small keeper and a few schoolies right away. Then I switched to SP minnows and was having a blast but all small fish. I decided to go deeper with some weighted soft plastics and hooked two nice fish but lost both of them. One of them made a nice run toward the boat and I could not keep the pressure on so the hook came off and I could see the fish right under the boat. We made a second run for macks and started livelining again. We got a fat 35", a 30" and a few schoolies before we called it a day around 9pm. Tons of bait around and I could see fish splashing (mostly small guys.) We really enjoyed the day on the water. No boats around and the weather cooperated much better than forecast.

Tight lines!

D

Your killing me mr. pauljohnson.

Where do you launch from and how big is your boat. Do you have a live well?

I hope in a good way.

Running a 21'Seaswirl out of Weymouth. Yes, I have a live well.

Go get macks. Rig them up with a 4 oz weight three way. Double hook. Keep them straight. Let out 60 feet or so line. Troll at a speed of 2 to 3 mph. Keep it in and out of gear if u have too. Fish 2 miles east of.. rest is in the pm