Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slipknot

Mega-Bait Jig question

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have a question about the megabait jigs. Do you put a porko , Uncle Josh , rubber curly or split tail grub on the hook? Or leave it plain? Or maybe change to a bucktail dressed hook? Thank you

Ive caught a few on them as-is from the box. I'm sure some bucktail on the hook wouldn't hurt (probably help). Dont know about the porkrind, might affect action, try it & let us know.

Slipknot use it as it came out of the package. If you want to experiment,get a hook with bucktail,long shankor a salmon style. The colors are white,pink or chartruese.Angler

I take a couple of minutes tying on some matching bucktail onto a nice, strong siwash hook. I like the VMC 4171 ( I am pretty sure of this number, but I am now second guessing myself). I have much more confidence this way. Big, strong hooks are a must on jigs.

Charlie

I use them both way, plain and with a bucktailed siwash hook. I've even used them with a swivel and plain siwash hook at the Ditch where snagging can be a problem. They work no matter how you use 'em!

One thing, adding a strip of pork rind will change the profile to more eel like than bait fish like. This can be a good thing or bad thing, depending on what you are most trying to imitate smile.gif

TimS

Thanks alot, I forgot about trailers effecting the action. Maybe I will try bucktail on the hook. And if snagging becomes a problem I can always add a swivel. I appreciate your comments.

Plug - That's exactly what I do biggrin.gif. In the past I just used plain Hopkins lures with a squid trailer, but I just got a few fancy MegaBait jigs from StripersOnline to see if they work any better. They sure look real.

This may sound crazy, but has anyone tried using a 3/4 oz MegaBait jig as a teaser with a Darter to try and get it deeper? I was thinking of trying it out.