Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
averageangler

What braid is best?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Let's face it...how much more abrasion resistant is mono? If you run against a bridge abutment or a rock with mono, it's gonna break just like braid will. The benefit to braid is being able to muscle a fish away from these structures to avoid being broken off. That being said, abrasion is the least concerning factor for me, personally. I like PP Slick because it adds distance to my cast, it's so sensitive that I can feel a fish fart next to my line...I've had the same line on my reels for more than two seasons now and have no complaints thus far.

wouldn't mono be the best choice if abrasion resistance was top priority?

what is most abrasion resistant braid?

Mono may be the best choice if abrasion resistance is the only concern. But when line diameter, casting distance, sensitivity, strength, and abrasion resistance are all considered braid was the choice for me.

I use Fireline original smoke 30 or 14 lb test and Ande blue Back Country mono in 20 lb test & only fish beaches....

Though Fireline isn't considered a true braid.

Glad I purchased a little extra of both in the early 2000s' considering the price of line nowadays...

hey guys looking for some advie on braided line.. any help on brands or popular lbs test or colors.

Original PowerPro ~ Moss Green

Been using it since day one that it came out for surfcasting , depending on the type and style fishing I am doing I use 15lb-20lb-30lb-50lb & and even 65lb Test...

SteveG

depends entirely on the situation.

course braids do well cutting through vegetation.

hollow core splicing does best where maximum strength and the potential of long drawn out battles with hard fast surging fish are possible.

smooth braids do well where you need to hear whats going on in your surroundings and cant just be focusing on the sound of it coming through your guides.

waxy braids handle better with less tip wrapping and overruns pick out easier on conventional gear. As well as last longer around abraisive structure

There isn't one do all braid out there...........doesn't can't won't exist.....

Let's face it...how much more abrasion resistant is mono? If you run against a bridge abutment or a rock with mono, it's gonna break just like braid will.

The benefit to braid is being able to muscle a fish away from these structures to avoid being broken off.

Mono is a whole crapload more abrasion resistant. Maybe even two whole craploads more in fact. Seriously man, its not even close. If my line's gonna get pulled over a barnacle-covered rock or an oyster bed, I'd rather have 20# mono than 80# braid on there all day long.

And having the extra strength so you can muscle fish away from structure is great....if you can see the structure.

Mono is a whole crapload more abrasion resistant. Maybe even two whole craploads more in fact. Seriously man, its not even close. If my line's gonna get pulled over a barnacle-covered rock or an oyster bed, I'd rather have 20# mono than 80# braid on there all day long.

And having the extra strength so you can muscle fish away from structure is great....if you can see the structure.

Most definitely agree with EB's post.

:p

FYI ....two craploads = 1 **** load

I have been using tufline for 3 years now. After using powerpro and suffix braids I can say the tufline out performs the both of them. My windknots thru the season decreased to almost none. I fish 30lb on my small plug rod, 50lb on the heavy plugger and 65lb on my conventional for throwing large tsunami shads and andrus big eyes off jetty tips. You might like it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripercrazed View Post

I have been using tufline for 3 years now. After using powerpro and suffix braids I can say the tufline out performs the both of them. My windknots thru the season decreased to almost none. I fish 30lb on my small plug rod, 50lb on the heavy plugger and 65lb on my conventional for throwing large tsunami shads and andrus big eyes off jetty tips. You might like it!

stripercrazed, I tried tufline a few years ago and it seemed awfully flat to me and I did have some wind knot issues although it should be noted I was using it on my go to surf reel at the time, a greenie. not giving you a hard time just interested in your response. maybe I didn't give it a fair try ? thks